[SOLVED] First High-End Build Cooling Question

Jun 29, 2020
I'm finishing up gathering the components for my first semi high-end build and now I'm thinking about cooling.

Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - ASUS Geforce RTX 2070 Super
MOBO - ASUS TUF x570
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower 650w Gold
Case - NZXT H10

*Edit - just read the sticky about water-cooling the CPU. I'm not overclocking so I guess I don't need it. However, what would you suggest for case cooling? I'm guessing it's going to run pretty hot in there with that 2070 running. Just slap as many fans in as possible?

Last edited:
Solution
Case - NZXT H10
I'm going to assume this is the H510, and not H710. If it is the latter, then disregard the following.

NZXT's H500 series, as simple as possible:
-the stock top and rear exhaust fan placements are the best overall on air cooling ONLY
-ignore the Elite's stock front fan intake if using air cooling only
-this chassis' cooling options are limited, so be careful with your parts selection. It does not provide adequate cooling for BOTH high power cpus and gpus. One or the other is fine.
-the primary purpose of the front bracket is for using a 240/280mm liquid cooler on THE HOTTEST COMPONENT between the cpu and gpu. The cooler part will continue to run on air.
-if the 'hottest' part is the cpu, that's easy enough. But...

rezaul1996

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
If you WON'T overclock, the stock fans are fine. If you want to go for a fairly silent build check out "be Quiet" case fans. If you want more control over your case fans then check for a 4 pin PWM case fan otherwise a standard case fan is fine that comes with the case. Water cooling is more aesthetics nowadays as it doesn't really show significant improvement over air cooling.

Reactions: BostonBoy
Jun 29, 2020
If you WON'T overclock, the stock fans are fine. If you want to go for a fairly silent build check out "be Quiet" case fans. If you want more control over your case fans then check for a 4 pin PWM case fan otherwise a standard case fan is fine that comes with the case. Water cooling is more aesthetics nowadays as it doesn't really show significant improvement over air cooling.

Thanks!

Reactions: rezaul1996

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Case - NZXT H10
I'm going to assume this is the H510, and not H710. If it is the latter, then disregard the following.

-the stock top and rear exhaust fan placements are the best overall on air cooling ONLY
-this chassis' cooling options are limited, so be careful with your parts selection. It does not provide adequate cooling for BOTH high power cpus and gpus. One or the other is fine.
-the primary purpose of the front bracket is for using a 240/280mm liquid cooler on THE HOTTEST COMPONENT between the cpu and gpu. The cooler part will continue to run on air.
-if the 'hottest' part is the cpu, that's easy enough. But if the gpu - then that was intended for the user to pair it with a gpu liquid cooling kit, like the Kraken G12 + an Asetek-made AIO. It's necessary to check if the kit is compatible with the user's specific model.

Most people I see, read, or hear about with a gaming setup in this chassis do it backwards most of the time: liquid cool the cpu, then complain about why/what they can do about getting a 250w+ gpu from staying below 80C+...:rolleyes:

Between your 2070 Super and your Ryzen 3600, the gpu is the one most deserving of the space for a liquid cooler in the front - if you ever go that route.
The 3600 will be just fine on a good air cooler.

Reactions: BostonBoy
Solution
Jun 29, 2020

-if the 'hottest' part is the cpu, that's easy enough. But if the gpu - then that was intended for the user to pair it with a gpu liquid cooling kit, like the Kraken G12 + an Asetek-made AIO. It's necessary to check if the kit is compatible with the user's specific model.

Most people I see, read, or hear about with a gaming setup in this chassis do it backwards most of the time: liquid cool the cpu, then complain about why/what they can do about getting a 250w+ gpu from staying below 80C+...:rolleyes:

Between your 2070 Super and your Ryzen 3600, the gpu is the one most deserving of the space for a liquid cooler in the front - if you ever go that route.
The 3600 will be just fine on a good air cooler.

Yep, it's the H510, mistyped that one.

Also, I was reading up on power supplies on the forums here and I'm getting a Seasonic Focus 650 instead of the Thermaltake. Not sure if that will make any difference heat-wise, but not skimping on the PSU just seems like a good idea.

I'm going to go with air-cooled initially and monitor the temps. If I do end up going the water-cooled route I will follow your advice.

Looks like I came to the right place for build information. Thank you!