first home built computer not turning on

jimu

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015
Bought the parts from the following pcpartpicker build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jimu/saved/Pb8ypg

the *main* problem im having is that I can't get it to turn on. I've tried checking for loose connections and haven't found any yet, and I got a multimeter to confirm that the power supply is in fact outputting power to the 24-pin connector, although i havent checked every single pin's votage. i also connected my power switch to the power_sw panel on the motherboard.

I have a few sub-questions of parts that I'm confused on that there's not a lot of great documentation on in the part manuals I have:

1. https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-mRIk_REn_3g/VNenh3-fvdI/AAAAAAAAIRA/s1WxZ49cwIE/w288-h509-no/IMAG0449.jpg

what is this? it comes from the same board that the fan connections come from on my fractcal core 3500. i assume its a power cord, for the fans but i have no idea where i would plug it in. i dont think any cords were included that fit it., except for....:

2. this one.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-swk_aIb5uMk/VNen86dVb_I/AAAAAAAAIRk/qO7U2YOZsDo/w902-h510-no/IMAG0452.jpg
which looks like it should go to my graphics card (zotac geforce gtx 970). there are four of these connections and this one cord has four comparable looking ports. i can just string connect them all and then plug it into my power supply, right? ive tried that and have still had problems getting anything to boot.

sorry if these are dumb questions, but i'm new to this and i honestly cannot find any helpful documentation online with the card, power supply, or case. mostly just trying to get everything to work! maybe these have nothing to do with my 'computer won't turn on' problem.

thanks!

Solution
From your post I'm not sure if you've connected the 8 (4+4) pin power cable to the motherboard. Google for 8 pin CPU power connector to identify it.
1. If the case has a fan controller, connect a molex from the power supply to it. Google for molex to see how they look like.
2. Google for PCIe (6+2 pin) connector. They are meant for powering the graphics card.

From your post I'm not sure if you've connected the 8 (4+4) pin power cable to the motherboard. Google for 8 pin CPU power connector to identify it.
1. If the case has a fan controller, connect a molex from the power supply to it. Google for molex to see how they look like.
2. Google for PCIe (6+2 pin) connector. They are meant for powering the graphics card.

Solution

jimu

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015

thanks for the help--the 8pin connector was in, but turns out it was because i hadn't installed the standoffs. now that those are in and the motherboard is screwed into them, powers up just fine. and looks like i was using a pcie (6+2) > molex adapter for the graphics card which was unecessary and wasted a cord. reconfigured and now have all the cords i need.

now just trying to get it to output to a monitor after it starts up. thanks!