News First Images of the Asus X Noctua GeForce RTX 3080 Appear

LastStanding

Prominent
May 5, 2022
to launch a 10GB RTX 3080, and there is no evidence there will be a version built around the newer 12GB configuration.

For well over a stack? So, ASUS is deliberately moving backward then, huh?

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
So... the same card but with 120mm fans?

I did that to my old OC'd HD6990 before it was cool, minus the plastics, but at least I added grills to protect the fans from the mess of cables sitting at the bottom of my case.

fl05

Honorable
Sep 29, 2017
That's one way to win the ugliest gpu award, stick some noctua fans on it.

If the Noctua fans are consistent with their case fans, they have a 150,000 hour MTBF. On my last build, the case fans were immediately replaced with Noctua fans. The previous build had fans failing around 34,000 hours. Conventional fans are typically rated at 30,000. I look for functionality rather than beauty. Present build has 7 Noctua fans.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
Some people are crapping on the fans, but ask yourselves, "Will owners of this model see the fans normally if the card isn't in a vertical orientation?"
exactly. a lot cry about how " ugly " noctua fans are, in reality, how many actually see these fans on a daily basis ? how many actually are able to see them ? all of my comps here have noctua fans, the only time i see them, is when i need to change hardware, or take the cases outside to blow the dust out of them.

That's one way to win the ugliest gpu award, stick some noctua fans on it.
The thing is, Noctua has had their fans available in black for at least several years now, so there's no real reason for them to put brown fans on this graphics card aside from brand recognition to help justify questionable pricing. Really, if someone just wanted Noctua fans on their graphics card, or any other case fans for that matter, they could do it themselves with minimal effort.

Reactions: KyaraM

svan71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If the Noctua fans are consistent with their case fans, they have a 150,000 hour MTBF. On my last build, the case fans were immediately replaced with Noctua fans. The previous build had fans failing around 34,000 hours. Conventional fans are typically rated at 30,000. I look for functionality rather than beauty. Present build has 7 Noctua fans.

Can't you have both ? Not according to Noctua.

Reactions: KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
exactly. a lot cry about how " ugly " noctua fans are, in reality, how many actually see these fans on a daily basis ? how many actually are able to see them ? all of my comps here have noctua fans, the only time i see them, is when i need to change hardware, or take the cases outside to blow the dust out of them.
I don't want to see them even then. Those things are eye cancer. As long as they cannot make fans at least black and sell them at reasonable prices (and I mean both at once; BeQuiet shows it's possible, they are a lot cheaper for equal or better performance here...), they are dead to me.

Also, considering the side of the fan cases seem to be the usual ugly color, too... you will see them.

Reactions: rygar

rygar

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
In March Noctua said that it was looking into further graphics card collaborations with Asus. Now we see the first evidence of that. The biggest visible changes are seen on the backplate.

First Images of the Asus X Noctua GeForce RTX 3080 Appear : Read more
Lol. My EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra w/ Hybrid Conversion kit has 4 x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 RPM fans in push/pull.
With full FujiPoly thermal pad replacement front & back and custom heatsinks on the backplate and on the backside of the GPU held on by more FujiPoly strips it settles in around 2.15 GHz after heat soak and 1.2 TB/s Vram w/ 500w firmware as a daily O/C. Hit 2.45 GHz & 1.6TB/s on TimeSpy.
They make great fans but curious how big an improvement they make in static pressure over an Asus Strix 3-fan setup.

It's not just the amount of memory. It has fewer CUDA cores, smaller bus, less bandwidth, fewer tensor cores and fewer RT cores.

The differences are pretty marginal and based on a fair amount of testing by a number of sites, the 12Gb card doesn't really make significant gains against the 10Gb version. So, that being said, is it worth it? To me, not so much; however, to you and maybe some others, sure. If prices are equal, getting the 12Gb version makes sense but not if it comes at a premium to the point where a 3080Ti is not that far out of reach. The card shouldn't really exist anyway but Nvidia dropping another SKU to get all it can from those dies shouldn't be considered as even remotely surprising.