First Impressions Microsoft Flight: The Future of Casual Flying

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_wobbles

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
A flight simulator with "Micro-Transactions". Sounds like a bad idea as it is. Equally, if they allowed for "Tycoon mode" where you could have multiple planes in a "company" I would probably be more inclined to spend more money than none on a flight sim game.

ultraman

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I tried this a few days ago and was severely disappointed. I know that most 'casual' gamers don't require a lot of realism, but this provides absolutely *no* realism relative to flying an actual aircraft.

The worst thing is that when you centre your joystick, it actually pulls the aircraft back to wings level. I have encountered *zero* planes that act in such a way. Another thing is that banking the aircraft always leads to a rudder input, but no rudder input is needed once a bank angle is established -- the aircraft should already be in a coordinated turn (provided you're at a medium bank angle where no additional control input is required).

Those facts might seem a bit nit-picky, but they're part of the fundamentals of flight and MSFlight can't even get them right.

whatismyproblem

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
hate at first sight...
really just wanted the graphics in fsx to be improved dx9/10 vs dx11

i think i'll be buying x-plane 10 very soon and deleting this ms flight garbage

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I think the free to play idea is the right way to go for flight sims (or most sims actually). Check the sim out before you sink money into it and only pay for planes you actually want to fly.

They just didn't execute it properly. Two more or less boring airplanes for free and only 2 more planes to choose from. Not having a cool or challenging plane to fly instantly kills a flight sim. Add to that the low detailed and very small terrain and you get bored way too quickly.

Flight physics feel boring, too.

G

I rather download flightgear v2.6 and give some bucks to the developers...or start playing with fs2004 again...

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
It's not a simulator, so I'll just stick with FSX. Runs pretty well on my Sandy Bridge system. All 8 cores are being used, sometimes to 100%. CPU also offloads things to the GPU when it's busy (tweaked it), so my GPU is around 60-80% usage. I get around 30-50 FPS without any artifacts with my addons.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I like Google Earth flight simulator very much except there's one thing that kills it for me; they swapped the throttle and rudder controls with each other so you have to use ninja acrobatic gymnastics to control it with a joystick.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]nothanks[/nom]I rather download flightgear v2.6 and give some bucks to the developers...or start playing with fs2004 again...[/citation]
I've been playing with FlightGear for a little while. I don't like the fact that it's a pain to install new scenery.

Otherwise, this new Microsoft Flight Simulator...I tried it once. It's garbage. Way to get 6 year olds into flight simulators.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I haven't played a flight simulator since F/A-18 Hornet on my Performa running MacOS 7.5.3. I guess flight simulator's are still in the market! :)

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Reminds me of Apple products. Flashy Design over serious usability.

But as was mentioned in another post; it is NOT called Flight 'Simulator'.
So if it is a 'game' how can we complain. Maybe they can add some Angry Birds trying to get into your engine that you have to avoid while 'flying' :)

As for the M$ Points..... stuff it !

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Don't care about the MS points; MS said they'd be phasing those out at the end of the year. Don't much care about the graphics; a game that intends to cover so many areas of the globe, I don't really expect detailed buildings, forests, and recreations of every locality's distinctions as that would be ridiculously infeasible, particularly for a game that is free until you feel like buying the extras.

The problem I have is the loss of a genuine flight simulator. The Ace Combat series has lost what made it a great arcade sim by trying too hard to shy to the real-world side of things. Now Flight has gone too arcade-like. Even if you forget the history of the Flight Simulator series, this looks like some amateur company's attempt at a simulator, but they couldn't deliver a real quality product.

So, what happened? The same thing that's been happening to a lot of games and old game series. These game developers feel too strongly they need to completely remake the fundamentals of their game to try and satisfy a perceived audience. They may or may not be successful at that and bring in a new audience, but in the process the fans of the old game become disenchanted. DON'T LIKE SOCIAL GAMES. It is the boiling down of gaming to the greatest common demoninator - whatever gimmicks or basic components that catch most eyes and dollars. From a publisher or comapny standpoint it makes a lot of common sense, but from a consumer standpoint this is a horrible trend.

gkreymer

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Shame on you Microsoft !!! You've truly destroyed another franchise with the release of another sub-par product, that you feel will generate a higher revenue stream than the award winning Flight Simulator marked.

In my opinion, you've committed another huge mistake. First, you've strategically dismantled a core group of talented Sim developers (the Aces Team) which had brought the FlightSim community a top notch flight simulator worth of incredible growth potential and becoming a formidable product among Flight Sim competitors. In its place, you've decided on a business model that would earn more by changing the way a consumer buys your product - a concept which you've once again stolen from your competitors, who by the way are more business-savvy and smarter enough to make it work for them.

Next, you've stumbled, fumbled and crashed during your embarrassing 3+ year development cycle of Flight. This latent release is proof that you truly don't know what your doing and have lost your vision, as you have with your operating systems, grasp of new technologies, and your never ending downward spiral business decisions as a software developer.

Flight is a step backward and is proof that Microsoft, once again, by letting down its customer base, with the release of a amateur-level product, and a back stab move on its once-loyal flight simulator enthusiasts, is dwindling to a third-rate software company.

Long Live Laminar Research!!!!

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Was interested in trying it out until I read the article and the comments. Was hoping it was gonna be a new advanced game engine, but guess not. I decided to avoid all games that base income exclusively on in game purchases. Only thing I don't like about flight simulator X is it runs like crap even on a super high end system. not so fun when you average 20fps on a $4000 PC. Hopefully microsoft will smarten up and hire an out of house development team for there next flight sim game...Seriously, they should hire Dice to create a flight sim. The flying in BF3 might not be "Technically" a simulation, but it "feels" real when your flying, and I think they could pull it off without sacrificing graphics or performance.

Gonna have to stick with everyone else and stick with Xplane.

michalmierzwa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Microsoft should place effort in producing a new space simulator, its been ages since the likes of Freespace 2. Improve graphics and expand universe. Imagine playing a space sim with MW3 equivalent graphics? LOL

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I'm having trouble just installing it. I think they should have created a "career mode" you know, start from student pilot, private pilot, then go up the ranks as a commercial pilot, get hired by an airline and rise to captain or something like that, clocking in flight hours. And $40 for that small amount of content is unacceptable really.

athlondude

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Flight was ok, but really dumbed down compared to FSX which was clearly the best out of all of the Flight simulators. If you want a REALLY good free to play flight sim you should check out Rise of flight at www.riseofflight.com. Its a WWI simulator that has been out for a couple years now and has tons of DLC, comes with 2 planes to start off with, and no limitation on the flight area. The system requirements are steep, but the graphics and physics engine are top notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.