First Impressions of Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddragon0000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Hey guys and gals

I just installed windows 7 RC on my Computer and I just wanted to give my first impressions of it. I'm running a Phenom II X2 3.1 ghz on a ASUS M3A78 mobo with 4 gbs of memory.

Pros:
1) Windows "seems" to boot faster to main screen
2) I think the look is simplier than vista which I like
3) Those dame "permission" pop ups are gone, thank god! I hated those
4) They have added new desktop backgrounds and made them easier to switch between which I like
5) Windows 7 recognized my 8800gt graphics card with no problems.
6) Unlike previous windows versions which had all thise "?" in the device manager area due to not recognizing hardware, there where no such problems with Windows 7, everything worked
7) They have updated the vista score to max 7.9 which is nice

So far that is itm have not installed any games yet

ok, there are some cons, but I think those will be fixed as the full retail version comes out:

1) ASUS has already started updating some of there BIOS software for there mobos, but not the M3A78, but as long as you don't seem to mess with BIOS, there should be no problem.
2) I notice on some websites Adobe Flash is needed, and Adobe has not come out with a Windows 7 update
3) I'm sure there are other software glitches which will pop-up, but hopefully nothing to serious

If anyone sees any faults in my initial assesment please let me know :)

3) Those dame "permission" pop ups are gone, thank god! I hated those

I can assure you, they are not "gone". They are less intrusive, and the behavior is configurable.

2) I notice on some websites Adobe Flash is needed, and Adobe has not come out with a Windows 7 update

The issue is the current (generally available) iteration of Flash requires a 32 bit browser. If/when you use a 32 bit browser in 64 bit Windows (XP x64, Vista x64, or 7 x64), then you can install and run Flash/Flash content.

Vista "recognized" my 8800GT as well... that doesn't mean I still didn't have to go and download the latest driver from nVidia. The MS driver is usually missing features (OpenGL being the most glaring) and it most likely lags behind the most current drivers from nVidia.

As for the rest of your hardware, it should come as no surprise, considering all that hardware is available BEFORE Win 7's release. It's the hardware that comes AFTER that usually doesn't have support right out of the box... and you have to go download drivers. (Which you should be doing anyway).

reddragon0000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Yup, diffently downloaded the newest 8800gt driver. But every time I've installed a windows OS in the past there would be problems with running different hardware in device manager area, all the "?" would be popping up, but not with Windows 7, so that is a plus for the new OS

ASUS has already started updating some of there BIOS software for there mobos, but not the M3A78, but as long as you don't seem to mess with BIOS, there should be no problem.
Are you talking about BIOS update and OCing software? If so that should not be a problem as you should not be OCing from Windows anyways.

reddragon0000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I tried running my disc that came with my mobo, it had cool and quiet and other software, along with BIOS software, but when i inserted the disc I got an error stating it was not compitable with OS. Plus the ASUS screen that pops-up asking if I want to go to desktop or to BIOS has disappeared, not compatiable with Windows 7 for now.

reddragon0000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Installed COD WAW, PunkBuster and Xfire so far, there is no problems here. I will be picking up the new game Red Faction and I will see if that runs with Windows 7 :). So far so good....sweeeeet

reddragon0000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
UPDATE: Sadly Red Faction won't be out till August for PC.....damn! :fou: But I did pick up a sweet game called Prototype, and it runs perfect on Windows 7. It seems that Microsoft might have gotten things right this time. Games made for Vista can run on Windows 7. Look forward to trying more new software :bounce:

filoz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009

Wait a second....No more "Do you really really really want to open this file?" pop ups anymore?

I may have XP, but I still got a great urge to get this installed now.

Yes, you still get those pop-ups... and you got them in XP as well. You're thinking of UAC which is something different from the "Do you really want to open this file" prompt that you get with any newer OS. UAC could also be disabled in Vista... as I'm sure it can also be disabled in Win 7. Although if this was truly the only reason you avoided Vista... all I can say is *SIGH*.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
The only problems I've had with games in windows7 were securom related, specifically with adding the DLC to Mass Effect, but that isn't MS's fault. I even got DiabloII to run in compatibility mode, but I never tried it in vista so I don't know if it would have worked, or as well.

filoz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009

Not really, just got once pissed by the OS after canceling a file extraction by error. I waited 20 minutes on it and the security prompt popped up every 4 times for no actual reasons.

Well this was still the Pre-SP version, and it was on my sister's laptop. I still find Vista good, especially running 64 bit, however XP was more convenient for my desktop's performance.

Robert17

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009

Yes, it can be disabled in Win7. A good exercise is open every sub-menu in Win7, get familiar with all the options. There are many and all seem to work quite well in this RC. I dropped it onto a new SSD, dual boot, this morning, have been clutzing around the menus all day. Most options are familiar, some new ones added. It loaded all my hardware and configured without having to use any OEM disks. I was impressed, especially since I'd had to rebuild an XP image a couple of weeks ago, took hours. From the time I mounted the SSD, assigned it, and loaded Win7, to 1st boot was about 30 minutes, no errors. Have Fun !!!

Asus M3N78 Pro
3 gig cl5 667mghz
WD500gig
Segt 160gig
Patriot Warp 32gig
nvidia 8300 512gig assigned

Status
Not open for further replies.