First Intel Haswell-E Engineering Sample CPU Spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Just buy a Haswell 4-Core processor now and be done with it. Six SATA-3 ports are more than enough for storage and even doubling the Intel core count isn't as cost effective as using multiple GPU's. Seek out the software companies that are developing solutions using CUDA or OpenCL and support them. In the long run, you'll see much better performance than handing over big money to Intel for meager gains.

Shneiky

Distinguished
Say that to my MentalRay. The content creation industry is still very CPU dependent and only few assets are computed on a GPU. It will be years before we see an OpenCL rendered with the quality of a even free MR. Sorry, but my 3D needs rendering now, if I am to survive in the long run to get to those GPU renderers.

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Since I'm planning on this being my next major system upgrade, I'm hoping this will have USB 3.1 and nexGen SATA support as well. I have enjoyed my AMD processors in the past, but I'm just getting tired of the 990 Chipset and the fact that they are still stuck on PCIe 2.0 and there is no word of support for DDR4, USB 3.1 or any other new techs.

Shneiky

Distinguished
Sure, you will give me the cash? Where I live those come for 2000-2500 euro and up depending on the MHz. Not to mention ECC is double the price of normal RAM. Maya already costs me 3000 for a license, and the same for Nuke. I will pick a 8 core 500/1000 euro CPU (with higher MHz) and Non-ECC RAM anyday then a 4000 combo.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

well, you never know what games might be using in a year or two. also, computers are used for things other than games

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
well games can already utilize 8 cores the likes of bf3(could be up to six not sure), bf4 crysis 2 and crysis 3 and there are a lot to come(all games using cryengine or frostbite will be able to utilize up to 8 cores if not more), so your argument is pointless

the_redmage

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
cant agree more with Shneiky, as a digital artist who uses Max, more cores for rendering are always to our advantage and cost/core for these vs xeon as a work station are great! I would use Xeon just for render farm personally if I had the dough. I've been itching to pull the trigger on some Ivy Bridge-E love but have been holding out on any news of Haswell-E like today... sad so far away... ugh

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Adding to what you said.

According to DICE, BF4 can use between 90% and 95% of 8 cores. I assume it would still benefit up to 16 cores, just not as much. It's also possible that different parts of the game engine scales with CPU cores, so you might be able to increase certain qualities in game with negligible performance hit assuming you have enough cores to crunch it.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

That is going to be a "power house" of a CPU! It's not for gaming; (incl hyperthreading) 16 threads!! But even that is an understatement, as it will be using Intel latest architecture and likely no integrated graphics! Careful of core count, as AMD "marketing" has made it meaningless garbage. But this CPU appears to be the real deal.

Although, I'll gue$$ the retail price will be no "deal". Power users and enthusiasts...

hannibal

Distinguished
It is very unlikely that they can get very high clock rates. They could be guite similar than we have in haswell, now maybe a little bit less, because there are more cores in there. It is still very good prosessor for CPU intensive jobs!

Interesting to see if there is a GPU core in these? Any information about it?

The most important thing seems to be the new chip set. X99 seems to have some reall oomph to back up CPU and GPU and a guite big SSD farm!

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Single core performance is way more important than more cores in the consumer space. 10% improvement clock for clock year after year is not impressive at all. A 5 year old Core 2 Duo Penryn CPU is still a bit over half the speed of a Haswell CPU clock for clock.

jhatfie

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I was going to wait, but some of the good deals around will keep me occupied at least until next years Christmas sale season.

4770k for $270, MSI Z87-GD65 for $125, 16GB G-Skill 2400 for $120. Upgrade cost me $140 after selling my 2600k, mobo, ram that I had been rocking for almost two years. Can't complain.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006

I have an i7-3770k and while in game, I rarely see BF4 cpu utilization above 50%. Typically it hovers around 40%.

However, during map loading, CPU usage can hit 90-95% for a bit. This suggests BF4 can only use more than 4 cores in special circumstances.

It doesn't seem likely that additional cores will enhance the gameplay experience.

elite kustom pcs

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
For the purchase price of the intel core i7 4770k , it just performs very well , stock or overclocked , and most z87 motherboards offering 3.0, definitely worth getting then waiting.

duttyfoot

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
I agree with the others on here who mention more cores for content creation with applications like max, maya, houdini, etc. I have been holding off for a while now for an 8 core system.

Status
Not open for further replies.