First iPad Mini Shipments Sold Out in 23 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Azathoth[/nom]*Facepalm*I've given up typing the whole lost faith in humanity/ why are people buying this thing. This is the only response left to give. *Facepalm*[/citation]

1. There are reasons, $50-$100 is not like a huge fortune from one alternative to this. Considering people keep these device say 3 years, that's like $17-$33 extra per year. Not exactly going from a Civic to a BMW 5 Series.

2. If they have an issues they can go to the Apple Store and get it addressed easily, some people value this, especially non-technical people, you know most consumers.

3. The eco-system of existing Apps, Music, Videos is easily continued when you buy an iPad versus a Kindle or Nexus, some people value this.

4. Updates, you get ~3 years of update support for Apple products. This is by far the most in the industry. People want to know they'll have the new features for the next 3 years not the next 9 months and wait 2-6 months when a new version comes out.

5. Material and design, its still a well put together machine with good materials.

6. Like it or not, brand recognition. Just like some people spend more on "name" brand clothing or a "Sony" tv in the 1990s because of the brand. Some people buy a Mercedes not because of the engineering but the brand.

These are some reasons, you and I may hold no values for them, but many customers do.

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
[citation][nom]Azathoth[/nom]*Facepalm*I've given up typing the whole lost faith in humanity/ why are people buying this thing. This is the only response left to give. *Facepalm*[/citation]

People are buying it because they choose to buy. Are there other 7" tablets? Yes
Are people buying them? yes
There are people who dont need tablets and people who need them. Plain and simple.

Based on an interesting observation, I sense a new "untapped" market for iPad mini - families with iPad's "maxi" and kids are nagging for their own iPad/iPods. Mini is a better fit for these customers than an iPod or the big iPad.

-IvanTO

G

Why would anyone in their right mind buy this product? Its an ipad 2, only 2 inches smaller and $70 cheaper. It also looks awkward and to some dumb. 7 inches would have been perfect, but Apple being the trendsetters that they are could never cave in and admit 7inches is a good size, so they instead decided to add .9 inches. And the sheep will baahh, i mean buy it regardless.

As for the ipad4 sales being lower, its probably all the angry ipad3 owners who just bought one within the last few months not falling for Apples games this time. iPad 3s would be a better name this time.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I fail to see why this is 'tech' news.
That's more something for the Wallstreet News, Investors daily etc.

Most of us here care to read about how well stuff WORKS, not how well it SELLS.

Also your thumbs will tell if I am wrong :)

fudoka711

Distinguished
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]1. There are reasons, $50-$100 is not like a huge fortune from one alternative to this. Considering people keep these device say 3 years, that's like $17-$33 extra per year. Not exactly going from a Civic to a BMW 5 Series.2. If they have an issues they can go to the Apple Store and get it addressed easily, some people value this, especially non-technical people, you know most consumers.3. The eco-system of existing Apps, Music, Videos is easily continued when you buy an iPad versus a Kindle or Nexus, some people value this.4. Updates, you get ~3 years of update support for Apple products. This is by far the most in the industry. [/citation]

1. Who told you most people keep their devices for ~3 years? And what devices are you talking about? Cuz if its cell phones they certainly only keep them 1.5-2 years and new tablets are coming out all the time now. Furthermore, I feel like the people who keep their devices for 3 years aren't the people apple's targeting anyways. They target those that will buy new ones every year (and perhaps keep their old ones).

2. Half the people I've talked with at 2 apple stores didn't know what the heck they were doing. I barely work with apple products and I still knew more. The other half are pretty knowledgeable, however.

3. Did you see the Windows 8 Phone release today? From what I saw, it integrates music/videos/apps just as well as Apple or Android tablets/smartphones/computers.

4. Again, what's with the 3 years? more like 1.5-2 years, even with tablets.

5. You're absolutely correct. Apple products just feel like their built better

6. Again, correct. Brand recognition and band-wagoning is very prevalent here.

ziggity360

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I have built PCs for almost 20 years. The build quality, specs, screen is not just branding. If you would watch the keynote (insert apple bandwagon comment here) one would notice that it fits in one hand.

It isn't throwing money out the window, it's called loyalty, and that isn't fanatically based. It is based in reality. Apple is a strong, forward thinking company with awesome potential to be a real game changer in the industry (oh wait...) and cannot be faulted for it loyal customers.

Good day,

Ziggs

G

I'll say the same thing I said when Microsoft announced that all their pre-orders of the Surface or whatever were sold out days before launch:

Do you really believe that these companies would want the message immediately before and during the launch of their new products to be anything other than: "OMG!! They are all gone!!".

I can assure you it has been carefully orchestrated to play out exactly in this manner and nothing but this manner.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]ziggity360[/nom]I have built PCs for almost 20 years. The build quality, specs, screen is not just branding. If you would watch the keynote (insert apple bandwagon comment here) one would notice that it fits in one hand.It isn't throwing money out the window, it's called loyalty, and that isn't fanatically based. It is based in reality. Apple is a strong, forward thinking company with awesome potential to be a real game changer in the industry (oh wait...) and cannot be faulted for it loyal customers.Good day,Ziggs[/citation]

Dont try to reason with iHaters. Apple is a huge company and now that it is very popular the hipsters unleash their non-sense hate...lol.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]eternalkp[/nom]how about some google news?2 new products and no tomtom coverage?[/citation]

Tom finally getting to Google :) Looks good too!

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
If an Android product had sold out in 23 min, everyone would be cheering and shoving Apple's face in it.

There are more anti-Apple haters...then there are Apple fanboys.

user_ace

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Why would anyone buy the iPad Mini? Hmm... let's see: A tablet that actually has Apps in it's App Store, a tablet device that actually gets updated instead of becoming obsolete within months of its launch date, a product made of very high precision and quality, a product backed by a great company that continually scores the highest in customer satisfaction (time and time again)... shall I continue? Don't let your hatred towards Apple distort your sense of reality. The iPad is not just the best tablet device, it's the only game in town... and no I don't work for Apple. Alright, now let the hate comments begin... sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.