First Look: Samsung ATIV Q and its Unreal 3200 x 1800 Screen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shootin4aces

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
$1500 are you freaking kidding me??????? this is beyond over priced!!! and to think I sold My note 10.1 and TF300T when this got announced!!!!! this has got to be a joke right??????

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Great device! Wish I could afford one to give to my wife. If a rMBP is worth $1500 then this is definitely worth it if it comes close in battery life.
To be honest most people on Tom's though would probably do a clean install wiping out many the Samsung Apps and not even miss them.

It is a volume issue on 2 fronts.
1) small screens take less resources to make. Not only is the panel smaller, but the machines used to make these panels are also smaller. This does not necessarily mean that they are cheaper or less complex, but when building in volume it means you can make a lot more panels per square foot in a factory, and if you end up with a bad panel then it is wasting less resources.
Larger screens require more space to make, more materials to make, and when you end up with a failed screen then it is a much larger cost that then gets pushed onto the good panels.

2) The other volume is in sales. Portable devices are still on a 2-3 year replacements for most people, which means that while yearly numbers may not be high, it is a market which will have consistent numbers every year which can be built upon. And when you buy a new portable device... you are getting a new screen every time.
Contrast that to a desktop situation where the monitor is replaced every 10-15 years. Many businesses are still running on very old 3rd gen panels (because 1st and 2nd gen panels have pretty much all died by now). Need a new computer? That is fine.... but you are going to keep your monitor in an office environment. On top of that most home users never replace their monitor because they view it as expensive... even though these are the same people who will replace their HDTV every 3-5 years.
Basically, by buying a PC monitor you are paying for the company to stay in business for the next 10 years because very few other people are going to be helping you support that company by upgrading their panels any time soon.

Personally I cant wait for 4K monitors to come to desktop in the ~40-45" range. It may be a while, and it may be a while longer until I can afford to actually get it, and longer still before a GPU can properly push it, but I just bought my current monitor 5 years ago, and I know that I want a 4K monitor, so I am not about to go blow money on a monitor now only to upgrade again in another 2-3 years... because people like me may be the problem, but we also cannot justify those kinds of costs every few years.

Siarl Phillips

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
This is close to what I'm looking for - but I need a minimum of 8GB ram. I don't see why Samsung seem to want to compromise on memory - which is one of the cheapest components to max out on.
The digitizer could be really useful - Imagine a device where you can edit in photoshop on the tablet - and synch this to your desktop. Anyone who works in digital publishing would be interested. The only competing device is a Wacom wired based solution - that is handicapped in a number of ways.

utomo

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
The price is too high for tablet.
The resolution also too high for most people.

and I hope the usability is good. as many people still did not use the tablet good enough for business use.

Larry Schaibley

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
What ever happened to the release date for this Ativ Q? You made the comment in the video that it would be released sometime in July but it's still not available. Any updates on that please?

whale_darkness

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
4GB is Not enough RAM, android os need at least 1GB, this leave the magnificent device with no RAM, I am a graphic designer, Adobe Suits recommends 8GB of RAM, I have macbook pro with 4GB RAM and I'm telling you it's not enough at all, I hope that Samsung consider putting the optional 8GB upgrade.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Neat overall package but the price is very high and, as many people have said, for that price 4gb RAM is pretty skimpy. Samsung now does what Sony used to do with their laptop line - release good products at prohibitive prices. I get that they think they're the next Apple, but I'm not buying a product just because it has "Samsung" slapped onto the cover...

Status
Not open for further replies.