First Look: Shuttle KPC

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
If they release a model (for not too much more) with a PCI-Express slot, then it'll be worth it. Without the ability to upgrade the graphics ... I suppose it'll make an ok media PC or basic web browser...

For high performance though, you need to look at shuttle systems built around the sd32g & better really.

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No optical drive = DO NOT WANT. What are we supposed to do when (not if, WHEN) the OS blows up or something? Send the whole thing back?

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
It's got USB ports ... plug in an external (you can get adapters for a few quid off ebay, including power). Shuttle's recent BIOSes have been pretty good with USB drive recognition etc.

travish82

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
How can you beat it for $200? What would you use this for? If you want to use is for a HTPC wouldn't it need to have an HDTV tuner card? I guess It would be an easy and cheap way to brows the web with your TV if it has an SVideo output. No good for watching DVDs since there isn't an optical drive..

MattPenner

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
I could see this catching on in the business market. With Dell general business PCs still in the $400+ range this pretty compelling. Large companies (such as the one I work for) have MS license agreements that allow transferring of the license. Plus most of our users already have flat screens from purchases in the last 5 years. You could pick up these as general desktop replacements for $100 a pop. Not too bad an idea.

I don't think they're intended for any high end use such as a gaming machine or HTPC. They seem great for the business market or general use/dorm room market. They'd also make great cheap test boxes for web servers, firewalls, etc.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Call me a n00b.. but what does the 'K' in KPC stand for?

at first I thought Kitchen PC. but that didnt seem right after reading the article.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Assuming I find a mini-ATX motherboard with PCIe 2.0 and good enough PSU that will fit in the Shuttle, what will be the biggest graphics card that will fit inside?
Is a 3870 or 8800GT possible? I guess the 3870 X2 will be way too big. Or I'll be stuck with a whimpy 8600GT at best?

edit: I guess I'm talking about a different model of Shuttle that's more upgradable.

G

Your asking for too much... its not designed for that kind of use or it would have been shipped with a PCI-E slot. Good thing that C2D etc.. have come down sooo much in heat or a unit like that would be a toaster oven.

Im also not sure if companies would jump on those either... support not as good dell *cough cough* but also easily "pick up and walk out the company" with. (ie stealing). Hopefully it has the security lock feature that laptops have.

Nothing beats a nice mid case with handles for LAN parties etc...

I love the mod where the guy stripped his LCD and mounted it on the side of his case so it was like and all-in-one. That was PIMP.

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
enewmen:

Most shuttle systems (G series for example) will only fit a single slot graphics card unless you do some relatively extensive modifications to the shell.

However, the P series shuttles are designed differently, and CAN fit dual slot cards - and with some models they even support SLI/Crossfire though for this you'll need to use single slot cards.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

I though I may be asking for too much.
Thanks. This P seriies is what I was looking for. A single 'dual-slot' card is enough for me for now.
I'll need upgrarde the case cooling & PSU as well I imagine.

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
CPU cooling is quite reasonable actually ... they use custom-made heatpipe coolers placing the radiator of the heatsink right on the back surface of the case with an exhaust fan controlled by the motherboard depending on temperature.

If you're into overclocking, be very careful in which shuttle you choose as you'll be limited by the motherboard. My last shuttle (SD32G5) wasn't bad, but it's particular 945 chipset wasn't so brilliant. Took my e6600 to 2.93GHz but if I took it any higher the hard disk drive controller would fall over and die, which wasn't so useful for getting into windows :)

As for the power supplies, shuttle PSU's have shown themselves to be insanely reliable, easily supplying up to and above their rated power whilst maintaining high efficiency. The general rule of thumb is that if you can fit it inside the case, the power supply will power it.

That PC is really cheap ($100 for a pretty much a full system). I would just grab a E21xx and a cheap vid (PCIe x16 hopefully) card , and 2GB RAM and that should make a pretty small PC for taking to places for non high end gaming.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006

nice, i want one for my birthday then! might make a nice novelty item...

zyberwoof

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006

Use a 1 GB USB stick. The Eee PC comes with a DVD that lets you load the install files for the original OS onto a USB drive. Odds are good that Shuttle will include the same (since the OS is free and all).

And for other USB 'nix OS's, just go to http://pendrivelinux.com/.

Also, this would be perfect to use as a...
router/firewall: http://smoothwall.org/
NAS: http://www.freenas.org/
LAMP Webserver: http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/serveredition

BillLake

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

Watch for the follow up article as Shuttle has confirmed they will send the sample out as soon as it is ready. I will try to address all the questions and comments here and hopefully you can get one by your birthday.

wpns

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
Nice PBX box, plus or minus the CD-ROM. I've been building TrixBox PBXen on Shuttle boxes for a couple of years now, and they are perfect for this use. External optical is fine for this use, as you only need it for the initial load and any rebuilds.

Can't beat the price point, and low power is nice. Performance isn't everything!