Question First Macbook

C0tilli0n

Honorable
Jan 2, 2016
Hi,

I am looking to buy my first Macbook. So far I looked only at 13" ones. I am not sure if I should go for M2 processor or M1. Prob I will use it for internet, writing (Word, excel), some video calls. I don't see using it for video editing or video games in the near future. Considering the price difference is it worth going for the M2 processor? Waht about M1 max or M1 pro? My first option is M1 procesor with 512 GB SSD. I own a desktop so I have monitor, mouse, keyboard, external hard drive of 2 TB that I can use with the Macbook.

Any advice is a welcomed one.
Thanks

LovelyAkuma2

Prominent
May 20, 2021
Indeed you need just the M1. As you've mentioned, you are not using it for any heavy tasks, so even if you go for the M1, you won't use it to even a tenth of its potential. M2 is not necessary for you.

And do you want to use your monitor, mouse, keyboard, and hard drive with your new MacBook? If so, you may need a docking station for all of these cuz MacBook won't provide so many ports. Big brands like Dell and Anker offer many good options. For me I use a dock from iVANKY, getting everything I need without paying too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Apple M1 is more than good enough for your stated tasks so I certainly wouldn't be put off buying one. The M1 and M2 are actually very similar in performance but the M2 is more efficient. The M1 Pro and the M1 Max are more powerful than the M2.

The new Macbook Air is very nice, it has a new design and a better screen than the Macbook Pro 13", however it's not the best choice for heavy sustained loads. The M2 chip itself can get very hot when used in such situations, what impact that will have on longevity is unclear but it would put me off buying one.

If your not going to use it in that way for tasks like video encoding then the Air might be a good fit. Otherwise I would get the 13" Macbook Pro. If you intend on doing anything remotely approaching professional in the future I would also get 16GB of RAM.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Even an M1 seems like overpriced overkill for just web surfing and word processing...
Why not just save your money and get a cheap windows pc? Gaming on it in the future will also not work out well, macs are terrible with gaming for the most part.
Unless you're loaded, video and music editing are really the only reasons to get a mac.

Hi,

I am looking to buy my first Macbook. So far I looked only at 13" ones. I am not sure if I should go for M2 processor or M1. Prob I will use it for internet, writing (Word, excel), some video calls. I don't see using it for video editing or video games in the near future. Considering the price difference is it worth going for the M2 processor? Waht about M1 max or M1 pro? My first option is M1 procesor with 512 GB SSD. I own a desktop so I have monitor, mouse, keyboard, external hard drive of 2 TB that I can use with the Macbook.

Any advice is a welcomed one.
Thanks
The M2 MacBook with 512GB is only 300~ cheaper than the 14” base Pro which has double the RAM, a much better screen, better I/O and a much more powerful SoC

TRENDING THREADS