First Mozilla Boot to Gecko Devices Launching by Early 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
There are too many mobile OS' and browsers
As a developer when I build a mobile site I just cant make something that will work on Android, iOS, IE Mobile, Opera Mini, Firefox Mobile, Blackberrys, etc. It's just not possible meaning I only support devices with the highest market share. As for the other devices they will eventually die off when people don't want them because sites don't render correctly.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
If we had a single runtime environment for web code it would simplify everything. This is what flash and java do and why plug-ins are great because you can make something that renders the same across all devices no matter the platform. By each browser having their own javascript and html rendering engine we are taking a step backwards.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]There are too many mobile OS' and browsersAs a developer when I build a mobile site I just cant make something that will work on Android, iOS, IE Mobile, Opera Mini, Firefox Mobile, Blackberrys, etc. It's just not possible meaning I only support devices with the highest market share. As for the other devices they will eventually die off when people don't want them because sites don't render correctly.[/citation]
actually most work on webkit (android, IOS, nokia....) and trident is like the desktop version, opera mini stuff is prerendered so it wouldn't be able to make dynamic content anyway

BTW most are quite similar

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
While most do use webkit not all do. I was working on a mobile site today that looked great on Android and iOS but was broke as shit in IE mobile... and I thought getting a site to render correctly in IE for desktops was a pain in the ass

freedas

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
You're on top of it.
g.gif

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
it's good to see competition, but without a lot of support from hardware manufacturers and later software developers, this platform could simply be another meego. no matter how good it is.
but i wish mozilla good luck. i've been using their browser as my main browser for years.

sam buddy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
This will surely be my mobile OS of choice, because Mozilla respects its users privacy.

[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]If we had a single runtime environment for web code it would simplify everything. This is what flash and java do and why plug-ins are great because you can make something that renders the same across all devices no matter the platform. By each browser having their own javascript and html rendering engine we are taking a step backwards.[/citation]

I think HTML5 and open web standards is the step forward. If you stick to compliant code, and test it using the same tests browser makers use (Tom's Hardware, too, on browser Grand Prix), then, as you already said:

[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]... the other devices they will eventually die off when people don't want them because sites don't render correctly.[/citation]

It's them who have to try harder to comply. I think stiff competition will make them (see Tizen, maybe Chromium, etc.). Of course, it'll be of help if users make the right choice (i.e. open standards and, hopefully, at a later point in time, this could lead to open drivers, too).

Status
Not open for further replies.