Question First new build not POSTing ?

May 7, 2022
Hey everyone,
Just did my first PC build and I'm having an issue getting it to POST. Computer fires up and I can see my monitor dimming as if it's about to pick up a signal and then I get no signal detected from my monitor. I tried updating to the latest motherboard bios and it seems to have updated but I'm still getting the same issue. I did notice something while updating the bios, I actually get the Aorus splash screen to pop up for a second when a USB flash drive is plugged in but it goes away and loads a screen "Reboot and select proper boot device". I also tried hitting F12 and delete to try and get into bios setup but it gives me a no signal detected on the screen. This only happens with a USB drive plugged in. With nothing plugged, it goes straight to no signal detected. The USB has the updated bios on it for the motherboard and I used the Q-flash to update the board. I can't seem to figure out what's causing it to not POST. I know I have an older GPU but that was from my previous prebuilt computer that I figured I'll reuse until I can get a better one. Here is list of the parts used. All components are new except the gpu. No operating system on it. Any help would be great, thanks.

Ryzen 5600
Aorus B550 WiFi
G Skill ripjaw V series Ram(2x8GB)
ATI 5970 GPU
Samsung 970 pro M.2 SSD
CX650m PS
Phanteks360A
No OS

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
Just did my first PC build and I'm having an issue getting it to post. Computer fires up and I can see my monitor dimming as if it's about to pick up a signal and then I get no signal detected from my monitor. I tried updating to the latest motherboard bios and it seems to have updated but I'm still getting the same issue. I did notice something while updating the bios, I actually get the Aorus splash screen to pop up for a second when a USB flash drive is plugged in but it goes away and loads a screen "Reboot and select proper boot device". I also tried hitting F12 and delete to try and get into bios setup but it gives me a no signal detected on the screen. This only happens with a USB drive plugged in. With nothing plugged, it goes straight to no signal detected. I can't seem to figure out what's causing it not to post. I know I have an older GPU but that was from my previous Prebuilt computer that I figured I'll reuse until I can get a better one. Here is list of the parts used. Any help would be great, thanks.

Ryzen 5600
Aorus B550 WiFi
G Skill ripjaw V series Ram(2x8GB)
ATI 5970 GPU
Samsung 970 pro M.2 SSD
650watt Corsair PS
Cooler master AIO
First thought: what's the story with the Samsung 970? Is it new/blank or does it contain a Windows installation from a prior build? If its already got a Windows installation it may not be totally compatible with your new cpu and motherboard chipset. So you could try removing it and see if that helps. If its not blank you may need a fresh Windows reinstall. Also what's with the usb flash drive? Is that a Windows installer or something else? Are you should its in proper working order?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair is the brand of the PSU while 650W is the advertised wattage of said unit. Can you please mention the model from which series the PSU comes from? Which two slots are the rams populating on the motherboard? I doubt you're going to get display out of that GPU, since cards of that era lacked an UEFI VBIOS, which if you didn't know ended up giving people a black screen.

Furthermore you're advised to have at least 650W of power for the entire system with an HD5970 in a system, though you should have some headroom when buying a PSU, i.e, looking into a 750W reliably built unit.

May 7, 2022
Sorry, should have mentioned this, the 970 pro is blank. I intended to install windows on this drive once it was up and running. All parts are brand new except the GPU. The PS is a CX650m. The USB drive only has the updated bios for the motherboard. I was using it to update the bios via the Q-flash on the aorus motherboard. The ram is installed on slots A2 and B2.

May 7, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair is the brand of the PSU while 650W is the advertised wattage of said unit. Can you please mention the model from which series the PSU comes from? Which two slots are the rams populating on the motherboard? I doubt you're going to get display out of that GPU, since cards of that era lacked an UEFI VBIOS, which if you didn't know ended up giving people a black screen.

Furthermore you're advised to have at least 650W of power for the entire system with an HD5970 in a system, though you should have some headroom when buying a PSU, i.e, looking into a 750W reliably built unit.

So it's highly likely my GPU is the actual issue ?

May 7, 2022
First thought: what's the story with the Samsung 970? Is it new/blank or does it contain a Windows installation from a prior build? If its already got a Windows installation it may not be totally compatible with your new cpu and motherboard chipset. So you could try removing it and see if that helps. If its not blank you may need a fresh Windows reinstall. Also what's with the usb flash drive? Is that a Windows installer or something else? Are you should its in proper working order?
Sorry I didn't mention this. The 970 is new. I intended to install windows once I got it to post. The USB flash drive has the updated bios on it from gigabyte. I was using the motherboards Q-flash system to update the bios. That's the only thing on the usb

May 7, 2022
Did you attempt any kind of overclocking or enabling something like XMP in the BIOS? If so revert the BIOS back to stock for now until the issue is resolved. I would check the cables on the motherboard/PSU so make sure everything is secure.
Hi,
I haven't been able to get into bios at all. When I I get the aorus screen for the split second and try to get in to bios it just goes to the screen where it says "no signal"

May 7, 2022
Are you sure that this GPU supports an UEFI system ?
I vaguely remember this could be a problem
It could be possible but from what I'm reading it seems to give people a black screen but I'm getting a no signal screen. I'm not ruling out the GPU but just trying everything I can before changing out the GPU