First NGFF SSDs Show Up in Lenovo ThinkPad E431 Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenshin111

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
We don't really need this because:

- we already have mSATA/mPCIe
- and the speed is there as well, the new SSD drive format doesn't give you more speed, just a tad smaller form factor

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
What do you mean "we really don't need this?"
When manufacturers must make thinner laptops its critical to get as many components as small as possible, so this is just one of many components that must shrink

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
"When manufacturers must make thinner laptops its critical to get as many components as small as possible, so this is just one of many components that must shrink"
Fair enough... They didn't HAVE to use a new connector then

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I hope these (higher capacity ones) are available at Newegg for example. Then I can stick one in a motherboard that supports M.2 to remove cable connections and get much higher 1.4GB/s speeds. I think the Asus Maximus supports this, but only at SATA3 speeds.

EDIT: Somehow this became my original post. New one is below:

we need this because of speed. only that.

mPCIe has at least one lane (I can't find a definitive source), and that's plenty for most things. If you need anything faster, give it PCIe 3.0, for a GB/s each way.

Besides, who's going to put a GPU or similar on one of these? It won't fit and you can't deal with the heat.

When manufacturers must make thinner laptops its critical to get as many components as small as possible, so this is just one of many components that must shrink

So use a half-length one.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.