First Overclocked R9 295X2 Surfaces Courtesy of Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
*sigh*
Oh, marketing. I guess if nothing else, it puts a bit of 'competition' out there with another card, if you can even call it that. Can't wait to see what they do with the price on this... might end up being interesting. :)

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
On that note, I have stably over clocked my sli 780M's +180 MHz. Not apple to apples, but seriously - the thermal boundary of a laptop GPU is more constrained than a darned desktop card, dual GPU or otherwise.

ragenalien

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
I love the sarcasmXD What ive always wondered why do companies even put out factory over clocked when you can just use MSI Afterburner to oc way higher anyway.

The number one reason is that overclocking voids your warranty on the card. So a factory overclocked card is faster than the standard card and still has a warranty. The second reason people buy they is because the GPU's are usually binned for overclocking. There's no guarantee that a card sold at stock clock speed can reach an overclocked card and many of them cannot. It's like buying an MSI lightning or EVGA classified. Those cards are binned to be the best possible overclockers. Not all GPU's are equal.

Optimus_Toaster

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
The number one reason is that overclocking voids your warranty on the card. So a factory overclocked card is faster than the standard card and still has a warranty.

I'm not sure what cards/manufacturers/retailers you are using but I have first hand experience at returning a personally overclocked card. They simply didn't care - in fact when the retailer is called overclockers it's expected of you.

Also they have no way of finding out whether you have overclocked or not. Flashing the BIOS and be unable to flash back or physically altering your card will cause a refused rma, but anything you do in MSI afterburner will be undetectable.

jase240

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
The number one reason is that overclocking voids your warranty on the card. So a factory overclocked card is faster than the standard card and still has a warranty.

I'm not sure what cards/manufacturers/retailers you are using but I have first hand experience at returning a personally overclocked card. They simply didn't care - in fact when the retailer is called overclockers it's expected of you.

Also they have no way of finding out whether you have overclocked or not. Flashing the BIOS and be unable to flash back or physically altering your card will cause a refused rma, but anything you do in MSI afterburner will be undetectable.

Let's specify, overvolting from overclocking WILL void your warranty and they CAN check to see that a card has been overvolted.

Although many cards do have their voltages locked down, if you increase your voltage past max boost voltages(most cards will allow some minor headroom) it will void your warranty.

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
I'm not sure what video cards you are talking about, because for the last 2 generations of Nvidia desktop and laptop cards have automatic dynamic voltage out of the box. Turbo boost and turbo boost 2. Maybe AMD cards?

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
I've had 2 identical cars running different voltages at stock boost. Sounds like bumpkiss to me.

Also sounds like you should buy a brand that stands behind their product even with overclocking (sans VBIOS mods). Like EVGA.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Let's specify, overvolting from overclocking WILL void your warranty and they CAN check to see that a card has been overvolted.

Although many cards do have their voltages locked down, if you increase your voltage past max boost voltages(most cards will allow some minor headroom) it will void your warranty.

Proving a card was overvolted, is impossible for the board partners. You'd have to actually dissect the faulty component itself. Even then, you can't actually prove that any component used on the card was overvolted as you've destroyed ALL of the evidence while dissecting the component.

InvalidError

Titan

It is easy enough if they really want to do it: many AMD partners used to include a (EE)PROM on their boards that got programmed with the date when overclocking features got unlocked. This date used to be listed under hardware info or the overclock tab in the stock Catalyst UI but appears to be gone in newer versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.