First PC Build Advice Please

bigruff

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
Hello,

I'm currently trying to build my first custom pc, I have done a lot of research but am still really unsure of what is compatible with what and what brands have better build/design quality and was hoping for some guidance.

First off I should state that for my budget, I would prefer to keep it under $2000 including peripherals but I wouldn't be upset if I go a LITTLE over that for an awesome build. My purpose for the custom build is for gaming/IT study (career pathway) & general internet surfing ie. youtube etc all at high resolution. Also I have the intention of over clocking once I gain some more understanding of how to do so. I'll be purchasing all parts from Umart in Brisbane.

Here is my current list of parts:

CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K LGA1150 3.5GHz 8Mb Cache Haswell Quad-core - $395

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $38

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H/Z87/4 x DDR3/6 x PCI-E/1 x PCI x SATA3/10 x USB3.0/HDMI/DP/DVI-1/2 x GBLAN - $292

Memory - G Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 RL 9-9-9-24 (CL9D - 8GBRL) - $98

Storage - Seagate SATA3 3TB 7200RPM Barracuda 64mb Cache - $130

Video Card - Gigabyte GTX 760 OC Edition PCI-E 3.0 4GB 256-bit DDR5, Base: 1085 boost:1150/6008 MHz, 2x DVI, HDMI - $365

Case - CoolerMaster RC-942-KKN1 HAF X 942 Black No PSU - $199

Power Supply - CoolerMaster Thunder Series 700W - $89

Wireless Adapter - TP-LINK TL-WN951N Wireless N PCI Adapter - $29

Data SATA3 Cable - BitFenix 180Deg, Sleeved SATAIII Cable with Lock, 30cm Black/Red - $9

Optical Drive - LGE CH12NS30 Black Blue Ray HD Combo - $68

Monitor - Asus VS248H 24” 2ms wide LED w/DSUB DVI-D HDMI - $185

Keyboard - Thermaltake Challenger Pro Gaming - $62

Mouse - Razer DeathAdder 2013 Gaming Mouse - $50

Total = $2009

Have I gone overkill on anything unnecessary or if I have over looked anything important. Also hoping I haven't left out anything important i.e. cables etc. I'm chasing best bang for my buck within my budget.

Any help provided would be much appreciated.

Solution
I'd kick the DRAM up to 1866/9 - 2133/9 in that area, Haswell loves fast DRAM, and I'd go with the Asus Hero mobo (best I've built on), but it's a good build overall
I dont think you need a $200 CAse for that build id get like fractal r4 midtower for $100 can also downgrade to 4670K cpu $100 increase to 4770k is not justified also a lot of stuff you have there from that store is really overpriced i would suggest buying online.

bigruff

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
Thanks for the quick responses,

Tradesman1 - Is there any particular DRAM chip set you could recommend for this build? so many different model chips :S I chose the Haf X merely cause I have no idea how much space I would need for all the parts. I'm a total rookie with Custom builds. I'll have a look at the HAF 912. Unfortunately Umart is out of stock on the Asus Hero mobo so would the Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD5H be a good alternative?

Esco_Sid - What's not justified about the 4770K? I thought that would be the gold standard for the i7. Where would you suggest purchasing online? the above prices are based on Umarts online store (slightly cheaper than going in-store). I thought of using them so if anything went wrong I don't need to call overseas for support, I live in Australia.

I also price checked most of the parts on MSY and they're pretty much the same if not a little more.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Yes the GB mobo will work fine another alternative is the Asus Pro, think you'll like the HAF 912, I've got my Hero/4770K in it with the GTS V8 cooler (big mama), a pair of 780s in SLI, 3HD, SSD, et al, and all stays nice and cool idle is about 32C and I'm in AZ

only difference between 4770k and 4670K is that 4770K has hyper threading and 4670 does not it is only useful for things like video editing very few games or programs use hyper threading if you look at cost/performance ratio 4670k wins hands down but some people do actually use hyper threading so if you do go for it. As far as pricing i did not realize you live in Australia everything here in the states is way cheaper when compared to those prices.

bigruff

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
Tradesman1 - Umart doesn't have any Asus pros in stock either lol must be a decent brand. I've decided to keep the Gigabyte mono and change up the DRAM. Also I checked out the Haf 912, it's a nice case but I really wanted a window and the next cheapest Haf model with a window is $167.. I could justify the extra $30 for the Haf X :p

I have changed the DRAM to - G Skill 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3-2400 Dual Channel [TDX] F3-2400C10D-8GTX, reckon she'll go well with the Z87?

Esco-Sid - yeah prices over here are crazy, they tax us hard for shipping goods too.. I think i'm going to go with the 4770K as I may actually use the hyper threading feature in the future, better have it and not need it than need it and not have it ;)

Also I have changed the PSU to a Coolermaster CoolerMaster G700W PSU 80 Bronze Certified