First PC Build - Any Suggestions Before I Buy? (PLEASE HELP)

adamdmiller17

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
Hello, I have been doing research on my first gaming PC build for about a month now and I think I am almost ready to buy the parts. This is for a non-overclocking build to run most games at 1080p 60FPS on high settings. Here is what I have come up with:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FKLRqk
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FKLRqk/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K - Went with the K for the higher base and turbo clock speeds, even though I do not plan on doing any overclocking. I don't think it should bottleneck my GPU very much.

CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 - Needed a CPU cooler and people seem to have good results with this option. I have checked and it will fit in the case.

Motherboard: Asus PRIME H270-PRO ATX - Wanted an ATX motherboard for extra features/room. H270 chipset seems the best for a non-overclocking Kaby Lake build. ASUS seems to be a reliable motherboard manufacturer and this one has everything I want and then some.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-2400 - Wanted 2x8GB sticks of DDR4-2400 since motherboard supports dual channel and 2400MHz at maximum. These are low profile so they shouldn't interfere with the H7. People seem to have good reliability with these sticks.

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM - Needed some space for general storage. People seem to have better luck with WD than Seagate or any other brand. I think 1TB should be enough to start me out.

SSD: Intel 600p Series 256GB M.2-2280 - Best budget M.2 PCIe x4 that I could find. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it should be compatible with my motherboard. 256GB should be enough for me. Also, a nice 5 year warranty from Newegg.

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X - Wanted an RX 480 8GB for a budget, future-proof card. This one has a nice factory overclock and excellent cooling all for what I believe to be a reasonable price.

Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower - Not much to say here. It looks nice, has a window, plenty of bays, all of the front ports I need, a decent warranty, and three preinstalled LED fans all for relatively cheap.

Optical Drive: Nobody cares - Why am I typing this?

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit - Enough said.

So... What do you guys think? Any suggestions, thoughts, changes, or input is greatly appreciated. If you think it is great the way it is, please leave a reply saying so (I need a little confidence in the build before I make a purchase like this). Anyways, thanks so much for taking the time to read this far and thanks in advance for any sort of response. :)

Solution
That's a really solid 1080p gaming machine.

Well, yes you can save some money by selecting some cheaper parts, but overall - it will look great and perform even better.
One thing i could say is that if you don't plan to overclock you CPU, an after-market cooler is not needed, a stock one would do the job as well, but i see you've chosen a case that has a window, so i would not drop that cryorig cooler out - the system will look much beefier through that window :D Although if you actually consider overclocking in the future, you should change that motherboard to Z270 series, because you will already have 2 out of 3 components for overclocking.

ThomasKK

Reputable
May 1, 2016
That's a really solid 1080p gaming machine.

Well, yes you can save some money by selecting some cheaper parts, but overall - it will look great and perform even better.
One thing i could say is that if you don't plan to overclock you CPU, an after-market cooler is not needed, a stock one would do the job as well, but i see you've chosen a case that has a window, so i would not drop that cryorig cooler out - the system will look much beefier through that window :D Although if you actually consider overclocking in the future, you should change that motherboard to Z270 series, because you will already have 2 out of 3 components for overclocking.

Solution

adamdmiller17

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016

I was considering making the switch to a Z270 just in case I wanted to OC, but I just don't see myself wanting to do that. Like I said, this is my first gaming rig, and I would like to maintain the longevity of my parts. I think that the Turbo Boost 4.2GHz on the i5-7600K should be enough to quench my processing desires. Thanks for the input!

adamdmiller17

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016

LOL I have one picked out, I just forgot to mention it. Its a SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply. Gold rating, semi-modular, plenty of wattage, and a good brand. All for about $70.

TRENDING THREADS