First PC build in 15 years - recommendations and advice for a non-gaming build

mpb2000

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
I haven’t built a PC in about 15 years, and I definitely have not kept up on PC technology beyond a cursory level. However, my wife’s PC is on its last legs (it’s still running XP), and I’m considering building the replacement, which will potentially have multiple uses, none of which are gaming. I’m not at a “parts selection” level yet, but by all means feel free to recommend anything specific based on the information below. My wife is not a computer person, so for her, as long as “it works,” she won’t know the difference. Literally anything I build will be a huge step up from her current machine. She is a chorus teacher, so the main use will be as her “home office” PC: MS Office, several music composition/authoring pieces of software (Sibelius and Finale come to mind), and a multimedia suite (Roxio/Nero/Cyberlink).

I use my laptop to record accompaniment from her digital piano (just with a standard line in audio connection), because it’s portable and not as ancient as her PC. While it would be nice for her to be able to record directly to her PC, that doesn’t seem practical without going with a laptop, which, for reasons I’ll get to, may not be the best option. This is also something that only happens a couple times a year, and I just copy those files to her PC over our network. The accompaniment audio is used for in-class rehearsals, as my wife is not a pro on the piano, and it’s hard enough to conduct and work with the students without playing the accompaniment at the same time. My wife also records her own voice with a dinosaur of a recording device, a Roland CD-2, which saves files to a CF card. She plays the accompaniment that she has burned to a CD on a CD player, sings a voice part for the song, and records this combination on the CD-2. She does this for each voice part for each song and copies the resulting files to her PC.

I’m sure any audiophiles reading this are cringing right now. Obviously, none of this is recording studio quality, and it really does not need to be, but if anyone has any suggestions that would make her life easier or improve her workflow, I would love to hear them, even though that means getting her to learn something new. These recordings are given to the students to practice at home, so it’s not as if they are meant as performance pieces. As for distributing the files to her students, surprisingly, the majority prefer getting them on CDs, as opposed to downloading them from the school website. For that reason, my wife uses Roxio (Roxio Easy Media Creator 7, to be exact – wow, that was released ~13 years ago) to burn a lot of CDs. That takes a lot of time with her single burner. I see that these multimedia suites now allow simultaneous writing to multiple optical drives, so one option is to put a number of burners into the new PC. That number would be limited by the motherboard, power supply, PC case, and maybe the software? Alternatively, I could buy a standalone CD/DVD duplicator or build one myself. I would be able to have more drives in the standalone duplicator, but they’re not particularly cheap. Building one is essentially like building a PC tower, but with a controller for the drives instead of the motherboard, CPU, hard drives, etc. I don’t know the first thing about building one of those, so there may be something that takes that option off the table. Given the cost of optical drives, having multiple drives in the PC would certainly be cheaper, but I don’t know how many you can actually use given the limitations I mentioned (or didn’t mention). What would the limiting factor be for the number of burners? How many could I use on a PC, given the right components? I see cases with 10 - 5.25” bays, but I assume you would not use them all for optical drives. They look like they are there to give you options for physical location, and then there are usually fans in the leftover empty space. The advantage to using a standalone CD/DVD duplicator would be that I would have more options for the PC by limiting it to only one optical drive, namely a smaller case, or potentially a laptop.

In addition, I would like to be able to do video editing on this PC. Again, nothing professional. I record my wife’s concerts on a camcorder in AVCHD. I edit them for her on my laptop and burn DVDs for her to use in class. I don’t record much other video, but I would like to be able to use the computer to edit anything else I do record. That would be from the same consumer level camcorder.

Finally, I would like to be able to stream video from the PC to some device connected to a TV in another room over our home network. I’m not sure how reasonable of an expectation that is. I’m not talking 4K content, but I would still be at the mercy of the wireless network. As it stands right now, the PC could technically be connected to the TV via an HDMI cable (20-30 ft.), but it would have to go through a wall or along the floor under a door. Not particularly desirable. A separate HTPC would be ideal, as you could get a wireless keyboard and mouse and have the actual PC output on the TV. That way you’re not limited by whatever platform you would have to use when streaming. Obviously that means another computer and I’m not sure how much that would cost to build.

As I mentioned at the start, I’m not trying to nail down specific parts yet, but I want to make sure I’m considering everything I should. I don’t have a hard cap on cost, but considering that my non-tech savvy wife will be the primary user, I don’t want to spend more than I have to, but I also don't want to just pick the cheapest options for parts. So, generally, what would be recommended for specs for the use cases I’ve described?

- CPU: I’m not going to be overclocking. I imagine the video editing will be the limiting factor here. I've always used Intel processors.
- Motherboard: The CD writing solution will drive this decision, at least in size.
- GPU: Do I need a standalone GPU or will on board graphics be acceptable?
- Memory: How much?
- Storage: I’m thinking 1 SSD for Windows 10 plus the SW I’ve mentioned (256 GB? 512 GB? How much space does Windows 10 use?), then maybe two large traditional HDDs. Is it worth considering a RAID, or just back up to external drives?
- Case: In terms of size, a full tower is not a problem. If I don’t need one, that would be nice, but it’s not a deal breaker. I’m not looking for anything fancy, just functional.
- Power Supply: I assume this will just be a function of the other decisions.
- Network Adapter: It looks like most motherboards have Ethernet ports built in these days, so I assume there is no need for a separate NIC anymore. I would like to have the option of a wireless connection and I see that some motherboards have that option. From the little I’ve read so far, people seem to prefer an external USB interface for wifi as needed. Is that the way to go?
- Sound Card: Some of the more advanced features of the music software require an ASIO-compatible soundcard or a MIDI interface, but my wife has never mentioned being limited in what she does. I’m sure there are better ways to do the recording she does, but it’s not worth spending a ton of money. Even if I don’t install a sound card initially, I want to have that option in the future.
- Cooling: Case fans, fan controllers, CPU fans, liquid cooling systems. What do I really need for what I’m doing? Most cases seem to come with fans, but are they enough? There are cases with fan placement options all over. Is there some objective methodology to fan choices/placement? I've seen some CPUs that come with fans and some that do not. I assume you definitely want one, but how do you select them, if there isn't an adequate fan included with the CPU? I have not dealt with fan controllers or liquid cooling systems, so I’m not sure when those are necessary.

I probably left something out, but that looks like more than anyone will even want to read. Let me know if there are any questions and thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Matt

Solution
If you are not going to be doing a lot of video editing, or super serious about it, the Ryzen 1600x would be a good choice. It will still get the job done well, and save you a fair amount of cash. Prices are not far from an i5 7600k, but in such tasks, it would handily outperform it.

I threw in a Crucial SSD, to use as a scratch disk.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($248.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200...
Matt,

A new system specification has to be governed by the most demanding application, which in this case is video editing- which benefits from multiple physical cores, and requires a lot of memory. For video editing, the best core count is in my opinion an 8-core as Adobe Premiere has a peak efficiency at 5-6 cores.

OPTION 1:

The best value for a high performance 8-core is the recent Ryzen 7 series. I'm also an Intel addict and only yesterday built a new system using a Xeon E5-1680 v2 even though that processor new cost almost five times the CPU I'd recommend: the Ryzen 7 1700 8 Core@ 3.0 / 3.7Ghz.

Here is a sample configuration:

Workstation: Sound Recording / Editing / Video Editing_4.22.17

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($317.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 CPU Cooler ($44.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($98.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($104.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.44 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.44 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB SSC GAMING Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Suppressor F31 ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($138.88 @ OutletPC)

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-22 08:48 EDT-0400

The parts therein are chosen for an appropriate performance and low noise CPU cooler and case. the RAM is shown as 2X 8GB which leaves slots to have 32GB, but with a video editing use, I'd suggest 32GB from the start.

To this system, consider adding a USB sound interface that includes microphone preamp with phantom power for live recording using condenser microphones, and a MIDI I/O that can record directly from a MIDI controller or digital piano:

PreSonus AudioBox USB > $100
PreSonus AudioBox iTwo > $150
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 > $200

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 is on every list of best reasoanbly priced, professional interface. If the budget is tight, consider starting with a used M-Audio 192 "Audiophile" PCI card. These are an old design but are duplex recording and have MIDI I/O The motherboard selected has two PCI slots.

The CD/DVD duplication is a job for a duplicator which are unfortunately expensive- $200+. A slightly less expensive method is to buy a duplicator controller, e.g.:

Produplicator 1-2-3-4-5 Blu-ray CD/ DVD/ BD SATA Duplicator Copier CONTROLLER + Cables, Screws & Manual > $80

and a case that can hold the requisite number of $20 drives, in the case of the controller above it will need 6 bays:

Copystars Duplicator case for build Blu-ray-CD-dvd-duplicator tower + power supply (7 bay) > $74

That would be a system with a reasonable professional quality.

OPTION 2:

The other tactic would be to buy a used workstation having an 8-core processor of a reasonable speed:

HP Z420 Workstation Intel 8 Core E5-2680 2.7GHz 16GB RAM 2TB HDD Win. 7 Pro > $595.95 or offer

We have two z420's in the office and they are ultra-reliable under long, high load use, and very quiet. the Xeon e5-2680 is 8-core @ 2.7 /3.8GHz and would provide the desired Intel processor plus the benefit of 40PCIe lanes instead of 20. the single thread performance though will not be near the Ryzen 7 potential however, nor is DDr3-1600 going to be in the league of DDR4-2400.

I have never used a z420 for the applications of the proposed system, but my dedicated music recording system has a Core2 Quad Q6600 at 2.4Ghz and I've made hundreds of live recordings using the M-Audio 192 PCI card, a VMP 2 tube microphone preamp / Oktava MC012 microphones and Cubase Home studio and recording out of a Yamaha S90. Live recording of piano and cello is on the underside of professional, but suit my uses. The live voice reordings were quite good, many were used in broadcast for a radio program I had in Los Angeles in the 90's,using a Shure SM87 for voice. Really two channel recording is not demanding- high levels of multi-tracking, effects, and video recording are. The performance expectation is the factor you will need to determine.

The best feature of OPTION 2 is that it's not necessary to research, order, assemble, wire, configure, and test a system from components. A system such as the HP z420 listed could be ready to use on some level in an hour or so out of the box and upgraded while in use.

Sorry, a long ramble.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

CAD / 3D Modeling / Graphic Design:

HP z420 (2015) (Rev 5) > Xeon E5-1660 v2 (6-core @ 3.7 / 4.2GHz) / 32GB DDR3 -1866 ECC RAM / Quadro P2000 (4GB) / HP Z Turbo Drive M.2 256GB AHCI + Intel 730 480GB (9SSDSC2BP480G4R5) + Western Digital Black WD1003FZEX 1TB> Creative SB X-Fi Titanium + Logitech z2300 2.1 speakers > 600W PSU> > Windows 7 Professional 64-bit >> 2X Dell Ultrasharp U2715H (2560 X 1440)
[ Passmark Rating = 5920 > CPU= 15129 / 2D= 855 / 3D= 8945 / Mem= 2906 / Disk= 8576] [6.12.16] Single-Thread Mark = 2322 [4.20.17]

Analysis / Simulation / Rendering:

HP z620 (2012) (Rev 3) 2X Xeon E5-2690 (8-core @ 2.9 / 3.8GHz) / 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC reg) / Quadro K2200 (4GB) + Tesla M2090 (6GB) / HP Z Turbo Drive (256GB) + Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Seagate Constellation ES.3 (1TB) / Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCIe sound card + Logitech z313 2.1 speakers / 800W / Windows 7 Professional 64-bit > > HP 2711x (27" 1980 X 1080)
[ Passmark System Rating= 5675 / CPU= 22625 / 2D= 815 / 3D = 3580 / Mem = 2522 / Disk = 12640 ] 9.25.16 Single Thread Mark = 1903
[ Cinebench R15: CPU = 2209 cb / Single core 130 cb / OpenGL= 119.23 fps / MP Ratio 16.84x] 10.31.16

mpb2000

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

I haven't put a firm number on it, but I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $1200. That may depend on exactly what I need. If the need is there for certain HW to do what I want to do, I may have to increase it.

mpb2000

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
How important is it to get 8 cores for video editing? I don't foresee a ton of video editing being done, and certainly not with any sort of serious editing software. What software actually takes advantage of the 8 cores? I can't imagine using Adobe Premiere; I would be much more likely to use something along the lines of Premiere Elements.

Also, how important is the GPU to video editing? Obviously, the video editing is the only thing that's potentially graphically intense. Would you want to avoid using CPU integrated graphics at all costs?

What is the driver for memory speed? Obviously, the faster the better, but was the option you selected based on the CPU as well? If you used a different CPU, would you potentially use a different speed?

The used HP Z420 is an interesting option to get an 8 core processor. I assume you would recommend upgrades along the lines of memory and hard drives. With those, and any other, upgrades, how different would you expect the performance to be between that upgraded machine and a new machine similar to what you spec'd out, in terms of everyday use and the special cases like video editing and sound recording?

logainofhades

Titan
If you are not going to be doing a lot of video editing, or super serious about it, the Ryzen 1600x would be a good choice. It will still get the job done well, and save you a fair amount of cash. Prices are not far from an i5 7600k, but in such tasks, it would handily outperform it.

I threw in a Crucial SSD, to use as a scratch disk.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($248.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($247.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($144.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB SC GAMING Video Card ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Deepcool KENDOMEN Red ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.39 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1211.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-24 14:57 EDT-0400

Solution