First PC Build in a decade

Metz

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 months BUDGET RANGE: <$1200

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Statistics, Movies, Web Browsing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: OS (ubuntu or Windows 7) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, tigerdirect.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type: AMD and ATI

OVERCLOCKING: Yes OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: No idea

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The only computer I've ever built was back when I was in middle school for my parents/home use. I'm just finishing my BS and am going to grad school this fall. My laptop that I used as an undergrad is basically shot, so I'm building a new computer with graduation money. Besides gaming, I need to be able to handle computer simulations using programs such as R/SAS at reasonable speeds. I'm looking at the following, and am just wondering if there are any incompatibilities/problems (RAM speeds/timings, enough space in the case, video cards fitting on the MB etc.). I know the total price of everything is higher then what I listed above, but I'm thinking the price will drop a bit over the next couple of months and I'm hoping I can save a couple hundred extra from work this summer.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Memory: OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

2X crossfire: XFX HD-477A-YDLC Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Hard Drive: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

Case: NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

CD Drive: LG Black 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 6X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner 6X Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Model GGW-H20L

CPU Fan: Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual 120mm Fan CPU Cooler Socket 1366 Ready

Monitor: Acer X193W+BD Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2000:1 (ACM)

PAM3May.jpg

Slot out the OS from list hehe

Metz

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
So I'm taking it that since there are no more replies everything should be fine with the build above?

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I would go with the Combo deals to lower prices and get a nice 22" monitor.

I'd give Batuchka's build a +1 but, if you wanted to go am2+ lowers the combo a little and get a 650tx instead, it will perform basically the same or you could keep the psu the same and change the case to a little bigger rc-690. I have the RC-590 and I was barely able to fit a gtx 285 in it, it's probably just enough, i had to add 4 3 more fans + the heatsink fan. It's like jet flow fans there so powerful but, alot of customizing

sycthes FTW :)

If you want to lower the monitor to a 22" which would drop it around $50 to $100. you could get a 650tx + a bigger case and keep Am3 available.