[SOLVED] First PC Build - Micro/Mini ATX Build Advice!

Oct 16, 2020
Hello all!
I am new to PC gaming, and new to Tom's Hardware forums!
I am looking to build a mini build, and I don't know much about computers just yet, but thanks to the help of some friends, I do have some specifics down for what I want.
My priority with my build is honestly aesthetic (I know, I know lol) I just want all the RGB possible and a sleek/clean look.
The general aesthetic I want to achieve is RGB/WHITE (or pink, but I know thats hard to find) internals, with a white case (which i will probably spray paint a blushed pink)
I have more details below about specifics I've looked up!
Thank you in advance to anyone kind enough to help me piece my first PC together- I'm very excited!

Approximate Purchase Date: 2020-2021

Budget Range: $1600+ (honestly flexible as this wont be an immediate build)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: VR Gaming / Other Gaming/ Some Art and Editing usage

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, microcenter, amazon - open to any though!

Parts Preferences:
Cases: I'm open to other small to medium cases btw!
  1. Lian Li - Although its not out just yet, I'm reaaallyy interested in the O11D Mini in white!
  2. NZXT - H210 Tempered Glass Mini-ITX Case in white
a. This is the case I would spray paint a blush pink! For reference, check out @veloula on Instagram - she has a "my pc" story that essentially is like a PC I would like!

CPU:
1. INTEL i7 8700 K 3.7 GHz 6-Core; i am open to other CPU's though!

MOTHERBOARD: NO IDEA!! I need the biggest help on this; I'm not sure how to look to see what works with the cases I'd like.

CPU COOLER: I know I want an AIO, these are the few I've seen, but by all means please recommend me anything! Most important feature is RGB, RGB , RGB!!! And preferable WHITE bodies/wires.
  1. Lian Li - GALLAD 360 in WHITE
  2. Corsair - H100i RGB PLATINUM SE
  3. Deep Cool Castle 360EX - WHITE **Does anyone know if I can buy separate fans to use and separate cables? i dont like the fans or cables it comes with..

MEMORY:
1. Honestly probably just the Corsair Vengeance RGB 16 GB in White... unless yall know of something prettier

STORAGE:
1. NO IDEA! I know I want an SSD? Or maybe an M.2!!! What do y'all think?

VIDEO CARD: I apologize for not doing more research before, but a GPU that is able to handle VR is my main consideration when it comes to GPU .
  1. GeForce RTX 3070 in GAMER PINK! (https://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/30-series/3070-series/geforce-rtx-3070-exg-p.html )
  2. GeForce RTX 3070 in WHITE (https://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/30-series/3070-series/geforce-rtx-3070-exg-w.html )

POWER SUPPLY: NO IDEA!! Same aesthetic rules apply here too - pink or white ( i know pink anything is harder to find). I know the LIAN LI O11D MINI case is SFX only, but I don't know what that means. I'd like to know if its compatible with the kind of build I'm looking to have. Any advice gladly welcomed.

Overclocking: No

Additional Comments: I've also looked at the white RGB extension cords from Lian Li, and her daisy chain fans in white as well. I don't know if I can make them work in the build size I'm looking at. IF i have to go bigger in case, I guess I can, but I'd really like to keep a small form factor. Also wanted to note that other than VR, I really don't think I'll be doing anything too extensive. I don't do any competitive gaming (yet), just mostly messing around with friends. I do make digital art but not consistently at all, and I don't do any kind of heavy rendering.

Thank again everyone, I'm excited to hear back from anyone and get advice- I'm very excited!!

Solution
Hello all!
I am looking to build a mini build, and I don't know much about computers just yet, but thanks to the help of some friends, I do have some specifics down for what I want.
My priority with my build is honestly aesthetic (I know, I know lol) I just want all the RGB possible and a sleek/clean look.
The general aesthetic I want to achieve is RGB/WHITE (or pink, but I know thats hard to find) internals, with a white case (which i will probably spray paint a blushed pink)
Thank you in advance to anyone kind enough to help me piece my first PC together- I'm very excited!

Budget...
Hello all!

Budget Range: $1600+ (honestly flexible as this wont be an immediate build)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: VR Gaming / Other Gaming/ Some Art and Editing usage

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, microcenter, amazon - open to any though!

Parts Preferences:
Cases: I'm open to other small to medium cases btw!
  1. Lian Li - Although its not out just yet, I'm reaaallyy interested in the O11D Mini in white!
  2. NZXT - H210 Tempered Glass Mini-ITX Case in white
a. This is the case I would spray paint a blush pink! For reference, check out @veloula on Instagram - she has a "my pc" story that essentially is like a PC I would like!

CPU:
1. INTEL i7 8700 K 3.7 GHz 6-Core; i am open to other CPU's though!

MOTHERBOARD: NO IDEA!! I need the biggest help on this; I'm not sure how to look to see what works with the cases I'd like.

CPU COOLER: I know I want an AIO, these are the few I've seen, but by all means please recommend me anything! Most important feature is RGB, RGB , RGB!!! And preferable WHITE bodies/wires.
  1. Lian Li - GALLAD 360 in WHITE
  2. Corsair - H100i RGB PLATINUM SE
  3. Deep Cool Castle 360EX - WHITE **Does anyone know if I can buy separate fans to use and separate cables? i dont like the fans or cables it comes with..
MEMORY:
1. Honestly probably just the Corsair Vengeance RGB 16 GB in White... unless yall know of something prettier

STORAGE:
1. NO IDEA! I know I want an SSD? Or maybe an M.2!!! What do y'all think?

VIDEO CARD: I apologize for not doing more research before, but a GPU that is able to handle VR is my main consideration when it comes to GPU .
  1. GeForce RTX 3070 in GAMER PINK! (https://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/30-series/3070-series/geforce-rtx-3070-exg-p.html )
  2. GeForce RTX 3070 in WHITE (https://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/30-series/3070-series/geforce-rtx-3070-exg-w.html )
POWER SUPPLY: NO IDEA!! Same aesthetic rules apply here too - pink or white ( i know pink anything is harder to find). I know the LIAN LI O11D MINI case is SFX only, but I don't know what that means. I'd like to know if its compatible with the kind of build I'm looking to have. Any advice gladly welcomed.

Overclocking: No

Additional Comments: I've also looked at the white RGB extension cords from Lian Li, and her daisy chain fans in white as well. I don't know if I can make them work in the build size I'm looking at. IF i have to go bigger in case, I guess I can, but I'd really like to keep a small form factor. Also wanted to note that other than VR, I really don't think I'll be doing anything too extensive. I don't do any competitive gaming (yet), just mostly messing around with friends. I do make digital art but not consistently at all, and I don't do any kind of heavy rendering.

Thank again everyone, I'm excited to hear back from anyone and get advice- I'm very excited!!
It doesn't make any sense to go with the 8700K anymore. I would honestly hold off on doing any prelimiary setups until after we have Ryzen 5000 reviews. That CPU will be released on Nov 5, 2020. Same thing for the GPU for Big Navi, we will know more about that on Oct 28, 2020.

Solution