Question First PC build, motherboard RED LED and no output

Sep 6, 2020
I'm upgrading my PC and just brought brand new RAM, Motherboard and Intel core i9 9900 CPU, but now it powers on for 20 seconds no output to the screen and then turns off.

There is a red light that blinks 6 times (once every 2 seconds) then it stops, I dont see it again then I seconds later it turns off.

The light is on the motherboard, and isnt near the RAM, CPU or anything like that it's under the GPU which isnt the issue since I've taken it out and it still has the exact same issue.

I have also done the minimum boot with nothing plugged I'm but 1 stick of RAM the CPU and it does the exact same thing.

Also idk if this helps but when I do plug everything in and put my keyboard and mouse into the USB slots they power on but dont actually light up like they used to.

Here are the specs:
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900
GPU: GTX 1660 Super
RAM: Vulcan Z T-Force DDR4 RAM 16GB (2x8gb sticks)
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B365M H

Thanks guys, and sorry it was so long idk what details you need

Last edited:

bishopi5

Distinguished
It's actually really weird, that mobo deffintely supports it. If you are sure you have the same issue without GPU im leading to thinking the motherboard was broken out of the box, or something has happened when putting the CPU in

Those lights are there for a reason and if your saying the light is under the GPU not the RAM or CPU seems odd that removing the GPU and using onboard produces the exact same light to pop up

Reactions: peterh00lland
Sep 6, 2020
It's actually really weird, that mobo deffintely supports it. If you are sure you have the same issue without GPU im leading to thinking the motherboard was broken out of the box, or something has happened when putting the CPU in

Those lights are there for a reason and if your saying the light is under the GPU not the RAM or CPU seems odd that removing the GPU and using onboard produces the exact same light to pop up

That's what I was thinking. It's just weird but what do you suggest I should do? And could it be the power supply? Because its 550w and on PcPartPicker there was no issues I'm just stumped mate

Sep 6, 2020

View: https://youtu.be/H6QfYHEAYi8

Heres a video of the issue, sorry about the quality but if you need to know anything else just let me know

Sep 6, 2020
Hahahaha thats an LED on your motherboard man !!!

That is not a warning light at all, its supposed to light up and stay lit, This makes me think power is the culprit, what power supply are you using
MY GOD IM AN IDIOT LMAO! So i should get a more powerful power supply? Or the same wattage just newer? Honestly thanks for your patience

Sep 6, 2020
Hahahaha thats an LED on your motherboard man !!!

That is not a warning light at all, its supposed to light up and stay lit, This makes me think power is the culprit, what power supply are you using
And sorry I'm using a Cooler Master GX 550w its hella old but was working fine a few days ago with my old build

bishopi5

Distinguished
Well good news is i don't think you broke anything putting CPU in and i don't think motherboard came broken out of the box, now its as simple as replugging the power supply into the motherboard and making sure the connections are right, if not yes, the only logcal next step would be to buy a new PSU ( or try another one if available )

Oh <Mod Edit> its 10 years old, its looking pretty certain we found the culprit

Unfortuantly testing will be difficult if you cannot find spare PSU anywhere, even if you could plug it into your old system, unless it draws similar amount of power as your new system it dosen't really tell us anything, even if it works

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 6, 2020
Well good news is i don't think you broke anything putting CPU in and i don't think motherboard came broken out of the box, now its as simple as replugging the power supply into the motherboard and making sure the connections are right, if not yes, the only logcal next step would be to buy a new PSU ( or try another one if available )

Oh <Mod Edit> its 10 years old, its looking pretty certain we found the culprit

Unfortuantly testing will be difficult if you cannot find spare PSU anywhere, even if you could plug it into your old system, unless it draws similar amount of power as your new system it dosen't really tell us anything, even if it works
I can happily buy a new PSU is there anyway to figure out what wattage I would need?

Also thanks so much for all the help!