First PC build Need some assistance

s1lent

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
Hi all,

I have just build myself a new system, got everything plugged in, hit the power button is starts up fine. I can get into the Bios setup Utility but then it goes to a black screen and says" Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot media in selected boot device and press a key". I tried to put in the OEM software. But it came up with the same message.

Hopefully someone can help!

my system is:

i7 920 2.66
Asus P6t (not the deluxe)
corsair xms3 6gb ddr3 (installed only 2gb)
corsair 850tx
samsung 1tb sata/300
9800 GTX +
HAF 932 tower

Please help me

ryanb213

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
set the boot order to cd rom and then start it up. then put in your vista/xp (or whatever o/s you use) disc in and when it says "press any key to boot from cd" well you know, press a button lol

s1lent

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I did all you just said but everytime I hit a key it just says, "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media". Whatelse could be the problem?

thanks

s1lent

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009

I did all you suggested, but everytime I hit a key it just says, "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media". Whatelse could be the problem?

thanks

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Long shot, but are you trying to run a DVD in a CD drive? Just asking...

Since your drive is detected in the BIOS, if it's IDE, check the jumper is set to "master", assuming it's the only IDE device on the cable, and check that all the ribbons are in the right way. I've actually managed to put a ribbon in upside-down once. I forced the pin all the way out, and had to delicately coax it back into the IDE cable plug. It was in an ASUS motehrboard, where the IDE ports are in sideways so you can't see where the pins are...

Anyways, try that. Does the CD spin up when you place it in?

s1lent

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009

I had to change the jumper on DVD drive to Master. That was it!

Thank you very much!

Latest posts