First PC build nightmare - Won't boot, No fans but Led on motherboard

Aug 30, 2018
Hi everyone, I recently decided to build my first pc (parts listed here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/V7qFmq) but I have run into a few issues. After connecting up everything with no real issue I can across a problem when I attempted to start up my pc. My motherboard has an orange led when the PSU is connected and switched on in addition when I try to start up the system through the case or trying trigging start-up manually nothing changes no fans just led on the motherboard. After a few hours of trouble shotting and reseating everything, I think its the CPU that's causing this issues as when it is taken out of the motherboard and power is connected there is no difference. I have checked the CPU for any bent pins and there is none as far as I'm aware. Do I need to replace this CPU or Is there anything obvious that I might be missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been really struggling for days with this build :/ The bios on the mobo has been updated prior.

Solution
Those AMD boards are crap shoot. The mobo is bad. I had an ASUS board that would light up and nothing else happened. You see the red lights from the traces on the mobo because those are not controlled in any way or form just lights up when it get any sort of power. I had to exchange the board for another. I had to go work with 6 ryzen boards this year, and 3 of them failed ranging from DOA, random hangs, and failing memory tests, that is a like a 50% failure rate.
Aug 30, 2018
I forgot to mention that the bios has been updated on the mobo to support the new 2nd gen

Aug 30, 2018
I have checked and made sure both connectors are fully seated. I haven't tried clearing the CMOS as I thought that would rest the BIOS again and I had someone update that for me. Would that be the case if I cleared the CMOS?

Aug 30, 2018
Just cleared the CMOS unfortunately still having the same issues. Is there anything else I could try?

Aug 30, 2018
I have looked and can only see one led however when looking on the Asus website Its says there is Q - Leds on the motherboard to indicate problems. I can't seem to find them on the board, do you know whereabouts would they be located? I have now tried one stick of ram there is still no change rip

Aug 30, 2018
Would the bad ram not allow it to start? I assumed fans would be able to spin, The only part I didn't get brand new was the ram so it could definitely be the problem.

Incompatible RAM wouldn't allow the system to boot as I understand it. And if it is indeed incompatible then booting with one stick probably wouldn't help; worth trying all the same in case one stick is faulty. As it is have you come across the POST sticky? Perhaps other things there which we haven't mentioned you could try for the time being.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

By chance do you have any beeps coming from the system when trying to boot? The manual gives some beep codes which could help narrow the possibilities.

Aug 30, 2018
Thanks for the list have gone through these although hasn't solved the issue for me has helped me rule out some things. There is no beep code unfortunately. I have now tried both ram individually still with no luck so might be an incompatible issue. I am taking it for a free diagnostic tomorrow so hopefully, I can identify the problem

Aug 30, 2018
I have tired both sticks now still no luck : /
any other things to try?

To be able to hear the warning BEEP from mobo you need to have a small speaker connected to the mobo.

Look on page 1-7 of your manual "System panel connector 20-5 pin panel" "system warning speaker" how to install it . It's very small and you can get it cheap.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Those AMD boards are crap shoot. The mobo is bad. I had an ASUS board that would light up and nothing else happened. You see the red lights from the traces on the mobo because those are not controlled in any way or form just lights up when it get any sort of power. I had to exchange the board for another. I had to go work with 6 ryzen boards this year, and 3 of them failed ranging from DOA, random hangs, and failing memory tests, that is a like a 50% failure rate.

Solution
Aug 30, 2018
Hi, would just like to thank everyone for helping me troubleshoot this build. I have gotten the computer working and had no more issues, The problem was very simple and I was a bit annoyed to discover that the wrong picture was used in the manual for the front panel connections. It turns out the power switch intended to be one pin over so when I was attempting to turn the system on through the case or directly on the motherboard I wasn't bridging the right pins. The orange led just to indicate power and is completely normal one again I very much appreciate the help and suggestions

Dec 6, 2018
Hi
I am facing same issue
Just orange light and rgb light in motherboard nothing happening on power button.
Manually tried shortting the power pins also no response can anybody help me troubleshoot.