[SOLVED] First PC build; powered on for 10 seconds then turned off, before BIOS screen

Feb 7, 2019
Preview: I have read a bunch of threads and there are similar/close but not exactly the same as what I’m experiencing.

My part list is: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tq3ydX minus I didn’t buy the ML140 replacement case fans yet and didn’t get the HDD yet, trying to boot with the M.2 SSD as my OS and game drive.

This is my first home build, and I did my research on the building process as much as I could before I started. I followed the order of parts I felt was most logical (MB install > RAM > CPU > CPU cooler > PSU > GPU) and was careful to ensure the wires seemed well seated.

Once I felt it was done, and performed a final wire check, I plugged it in to a surge protector and powered on. Everything started up: MB lit up RGB, three system fans powered and spun, two RAD with two fans powered and spun, GPU lit up RGB. Before the BIOS could hit my monitor (plugged into GPU), the system shut down on its own. Now, it will not power on at all.

The MB CMOS and PWR but are lit. The front panel LED ado not turn on. No other lights appear to power on (no RBG on MB or GPU). I turned off the PSU, and rechecked all my power/wire connections. They seemed fine. I plugged the PSU back in and attempted to power on, same scenario. I tried the front panel power (still unlit) to no avail, and then tried the PWR button on the IO panel of the MB. Nothing.

I disconnected the GPU and tried again. Still nothing.

I am going to try the PSU with paperclip in green and black wires with only a fan connected to test the PSU tomorrow. Other than that I am sort of at a loss. I am really worried I fried the MB and don’t know if I should order another one or if there’s a good way to test it. I examined around it as much as possible to see if there was a metal connection. I couldn’t see any, but the only thing might be that I was having difficulty fitting the GPU tabs on the bracket outside the case and snuck it between the MB and inside of the case when I bolted it down. But if that was it, it shouldn’t be an issue after I took the GPU out, right?

To me this is a bit complicated, but hopefully someone would be able to point me in the right direction. Thank you!

Solution
Some short, maybe. It could be the power supply that caused it, or the surge protector, or... who knows?
Apparently, the board is dead and yes, I suggest RMA-ing it.

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019

Fried mobo or PSU failure is, sorry, most likely here. Got access to a psu you could borrow to test? From a friend f.ex.?

Feb 7, 2019
Alexoiu, tried the CPU and cooler only: only thing plugged in to Mb was CPU_fan, 24 pin ATX power, 2x 8 pin ATX 12v CPU power (I have 2x slots, so I assume I need both plugged in, but also tried it with only left and only right). On the PSU I only have the ATX 24 pin, 2x 8 pin CPU, and I have to have one SATA cord to power the CPU cooler (for the RAD I’m guessing).

No luck.

Feb 7, 2019
Oh, and the digital error code panel doesn’t light up. I’m thinking more that it’s the MB. I can try to exchange it, but what might have caused it? I’d hate to duplicate the error.

TRENDING THREADS