First PC Build: Seeking Advice/Suggestions/Compatibility confirmation

csgojoe

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
As the title says, this will be my first time building my own PC. I'll only be using the PC for gaming and streaming, but before I get going with it, I'd like some advice, any suggestions, as well as any potential compatibility issues I might run into. Here's the build I have in mind:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k
Cooler: CM Hyper Evo 212
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA 1150
RAM: G.Skills Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1600 mhz
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5"
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+
Case: Corsair carbide 500r ATX mid-tower
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: BenQ XL2420Z 144Hz 24.0"

Once it's all said it done, this build will cost me around $2000-$2200 CAD. Unfortunately canadians have it rough when it comes to building your own PC. I tried balancing quality parts while trying to be economical. Please let me know what you guys think!

Jeff Baffalo

Honorable
Apr 10, 2014
Build seems solid... but I do still have a couple of suggestions :). Your power supply wattage is way overkill, unless you plan on doing SLI. You also might want to look into a better SSD, the v300 is..meh.

csgojoe

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
Thanks for posting Jeff! I actually already purchased the PSU because with the rebate I managed to get 50 bucks off and the quality of it+the price seemed to good to not get it. Would having an overkill PSU affect my build negatively in any way (this might sound dumb, but I don't know these things)? As for the SSD, I didn't want to spend too much money on a part that isn't really necessary. It was either between buying that SSD or no SSD so I chose the former just because I've never had an SSD before.

Jeff Baffalo

Honorable
Apr 10, 2014
No the excess wattage shouldn't affect any of your components in a negative way. The power supply seems to be really good quality! I think the Supernova G2 is an OEM of Super Flower, which is one of the best brands in the business!

csgojoe

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions Jeff! Good to know about the PSU. I think over time, when I start seeing some good sales on PC components here in Canada, I'll most likely switch out the SSD for a better brand. We don't really get any sales it seems around this time of the year=/

Double posted.
For a gaming build, the i7 isn't necessary, so I'd say get the i5. And the case is kinda expensive for its price because of alternatives like NZXT S340 for much less but with great build. Like others say, Kingston SSDs aren't the best thing out there right now and there are some good ones like Intel or Crucial or Samsung. And the motherboard could be better by using AsROCK Z97 Extreme4, or if you're willing to pay for it Extreme6 looks like a higher-end motherboard with excellent everything (not that Asus Z97-A isn't good enough). With the money saved you may have enough for another GTX 970, which will be a nice boost in performance for more challenging task. Build looks great already though!

csgojoe

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
Thanks for posting okcnaline! Ya, I did double post by accident lol sorry, first time on this site. What about for streaming? Wouldn't the i7 be better because of the hyper threading or not really? Ya, I agree, the case is kind of expensive, but I had difficulty finding a case with good cable management, airflow, low shipping cost, etc. so I figured I'd put in an extra 30 bucks to get a really good case. I agree about the SSD, that's definitely a part I want to change. As for the mobo, I was really looking for an ASUS board that was affordable, yet good enough for my build. Friends kept pushing me to get an ASUS board. I'd most likely just have one gtx 970 still, I'd rather save the money because I don't think I'll ever benefit from having 2 of them. Thanks for the suggestions!

I probably can name only one game that uses 4 cores: Arma III. As far as I care there isn't a game that uses 8 cores. So you don't really need HT, because that's going to give you 4 extra cores for $100 more. The case I listed is good enough. And don't listen to your friends for this one because Asus is good, but there are cheaper. And I understand if you don't want another GTX 970...