[SOLVED] First PC build since 2013

Jan 13, 2020
Hey Everyone, I haven't built a PC in about 7 years and decided with all the new tech coming out these days it is time to get a Rig running. I am not going to be running the absolute craziest of software nor games but I do want to somewhat futureproof myself for the foreseeable near future. I like the Idea of being able to pull off some nice frames at max settings for some lower end graphically intensive games (Dota2, WoW, MTGarena, Minecraft, ETC...) but also have the capability to shred threw some single player titles that may demand a bit more, graphically speaking. This is the build I have managed to throw together, some components are included purely for looks and personnel preference so I realize it isn't optimized to the maximum potential in regards to finances and functionality. Any input or information I could get would be great before I click the "buy" button on these components.
CHEERS!!!https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QdrJk6

Solution
Assuming you intend the hard drive to be for game storage, it might be worth considering going with a larger, less-expensive SSD in place of both the separate HDD and SSD. For about the same combined price as that 500GB 970 Evo and 2TB WD Black, it would be possible to get something like a 2TB Intel 660p, for example.

That Intel drive is not quite as fast as a 970 Evo, and performance can potentially slow down during heavy write sessions, but in terms of typical real-world performance, it should perform pretty close at most common tasks, like loading games. And should definitely be far faster than a mechanical hard drive, as games should load around twice as fast off an SSD. "Performance" hard drives like a WD Black are not actually...
Assuming you intend the hard drive to be for game storage, it might be worth considering going with a larger, less-expensive SSD in place of both the separate HDD and SSD. For about the same combined price as that 500GB 970 Evo and 2TB WD Black, it would be possible to get something like a 2TB Intel 660p, for example.

That Intel drive is not quite as fast as a 970 Evo, and performance can potentially slow down during heavy write sessions, but in terms of typical real-world performance, it should perform pretty close at most common tasks, like loading games. And should definitely be far faster than a mechanical hard drive, as games should load around twice as fast off an SSD. "Performance" hard drives like a WD Black are not actually much faster than other 7200RPM models costing half as much, so their value seems a bit questionable to me.

Reactions: Dredarus
Solution

TRENDING THREADS