[SOLVED] first pc build, want to check what you guys think.

Solution
My only issue, or rather worry is the PSU quality. Will say that this is a mid-to-high-end build and would be more comfortable recommending a better PSU. I can't seem to open MSI's website right now but I trust that you verified that 550w is the recommended wattage for it. I would also suggest going an extra 50w (it's best practice but under no circumstance necessary).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)...

UltiBat

Commendable
Dec 9, 2020
It looks really good! I would recommend going with an Asus Prime B550-Plus instead of the MSI one, as I've found MSI's software (other than Afterburner) to be <Mod Edit>, Dragon Center in particular. If you can't, go with the MSI one for the Flash BIOS functionality. I really don't like that more manufacturers don't include that on their boards. I haven't really been following the latest generation of GPUs, but it looks like the price gouging is horrible currently. I was lucky enough to get mine before all of this started happening, but it looks like people trying to buy right now are screwed. Best of luck to you, and welcome to the club!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: newbuilder11
My only issue, or rather worry is the PSU quality. Will say that this is a mid-to-high-end build and would be more comfortable recommending a better PSU. I can't seem to open MSI's website right now but I trust that you verified that 550w is the recommended wattage for it. I would also suggest going an extra 50w (it's best practice but under no circumstance necessary).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB VENTUS 2X OC Video Card ($679.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R 59 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($64.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1249.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-25 01:16 EST-0500

Other PSU options in PCPartPicker under 90$ I can see are the Seasonic Focus Gold, and BeQuiet PurePower 11.

I haven't touched the motherboard as I'm fine with either recommendations so far in this thread. It comes down to personal preference and what you value on a board. I heard that the best budget options currently are the B550 Steel Legend and TUF. Although it depends again on what you're looking. You can watch Youtubers like Gamers Nexus who will clearly explain why a particular board is good/bad. My only concern with the board is to double check on the manfucaturer's website for Ryzen 5000 compatibility out-of-the-box as some B550's are NOT compatible out of the box. Hence why some of them offer BIOS flashback buttons. Whatever motherboard you pick, double check for safety.

Appart from that overall build looks good. Should even hold good ground for 1440p gaming

Reactions: newbuilder11
Solution