First PC build wont turn on

leo_2187

Reputable
May 30, 2017
Hello, thanks for looking and for your time.

So i'm not super knowledgeable about computers since i came from console but i wanted to give PC gaming a go. When I got all my parts i started on the build. I finished it but the PC wouldn't turn on the only sign of life the computer has is a green LED light on the motherboard which is the standby power indicator.

These are my specs to my build:

CPU - i3-550

GPU - Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card

Motherboard - Intel - DQ57TM Micro ATX LGA1156 Motherboard

RAM - Patriot - Signature 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (x2)

Power Supply - Logisys - 550W ATX Power Supply

Case - Rosewill - FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case

So for the CPU and Motherboard i bought those both on Ebay so i dont know if that would be the problem. I tested the Power Supply with the paper clip method to see if it was the problem but it turned on fine. So everytime I flip the switch to turn on the power supply the green LED standby power indicator on the motherboard turns on , but when i try to turn it on none of the fans turn on or anything.

I also have to say that when i first built the computer I didn't put the motherboard standoffs, and every time I tried to turn on the computer it would a small spark, so I'm not sure if that would be the reason?

Solution
yes it does

Power Supply - Logisys - 550W ATX Power Supply has +12V, 25A rating equivalent to 300 watts. This just meets the minimum recommended Power Supply of 300 watts.

Combining modules purchased as singles is not guaranteed to work. Memory manufacturers guarantee the rated speed and timings of any memory to be obtainable only in the kit it is sold in.

Not using standoffs and causing sparks to fly indicates a short circuit. You may have damaged electronic components on the motherboard. Since user induced damage is not covered by warranty, you may have trouble getting it replaced under warranty. Judging by its age, the warranty is already expired. You may find it more economical to just replace the motherboard.

leo_2187

Reputable
May 30, 2017

So does that mean the cpu is damaged?

leo_2187

Reputable
May 30, 2017

So both the cpu and motherboard are damaged?

oscar douglas

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
yes it does

Solution