Sep 13, 2019
Hi I've been looking to build my first PC to do a bit of everything, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, mid level gaming etc. I'm currently missing 2 pieces - the Motherboard and the GPU so any and many recommendations would be appreciated. What I currently have is as follows:

Monitor: Viewsonic VX2458-C-MHD 24in Curved FreeSync 144Hz VA
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 100R Mid Tower ATX Gaming Computer PC Case With Window
PSU: Corsair CX650 650W
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: G.Skill F4-3200C15D-16GVR 16GB DDR4-3200 16 GB 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
SSD: Crucial MX500 M.2 Type 2280 500GB SSD Solid State Drive

I really just want a motherboard and GPU that is compatible and cost effective (my budget is pretty flexible but obviously don't want to overspend if it won't be worth it) . So basically something that is compatible with everything else and that won't bottleneck any other components - i.e. will hopefully optimize them. For example I believe my monitor is not capable of 4k-ness (is just full HD) so I wouldn't want to get the greatest GPU, just one that would be able to do full HD with some ease and make use of all the features (like the 144Hz and viewsync).

Thanks!

Solution
Well, here's your dilemma. You can't get a motherboard that will work out of the box with your Ryzen CPU in Australia for less than about 250 dollars. Those are the X570 motherboards.

X470 boards start at about 200 dollars and there is no guarantee they will work out of the box either. They may or may not have a new enough BIOS to work, but are outside your budget anyway.

That leaves B450 motherboards. Those start at around 100 bucks, but most of them are not going to work right out of the box and will need a BIOS update. The problem with that is, you need a 2nd Generation Ryzen CPU to update the BIOS to a version that supports your Zen2 CPU unless you get a board with BIOS flashback and that basically means only MSI, because the ASUS...
How much did you have in mind to throw at a motherboard and graphics card? I can make a lot of recommendations but it is way more helpful to have an idea of what you had in mind to budget for these parts.

Also, knowing what country you are in is pretty much mandatory if you want recommendations that are actually available to you.

Im in Australia and for the Motherboard I'd be willing to spend between $100 and $150 and for the graphics card maybe between $250 and $400.
If you’re looking for cheaper stuff you should look at the 2600, save you a bit and get a B450 board. Also I’m 90% sure you’ll have issues with that RAM, you need to look at a motherboards supported list and pick off that.
For GPU I’d go 5700/5700XT at that price, they seem to be the best value.

Sep 13, 2019
So I have a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and this Ram: G.Skill F4-3200C15D-16GVR 16GB DDR4-3200 16 GB 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz.
I've been warned that I might have problems with it and a motherboard not on that rams QVL. Problem is all the motherboards are intel ones... so from what I understand they wont work with the Ryzen CPU.

What I want to know is, is this a big risk. Will it not work flat out? Is there a good chance that it will be fine? Any advice on how I should proceed with the motherboard or should I just return this ram?

The other components I have are:
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 100R Mid Tower ATX Gaming Computer PC Case With Window
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 DDR4 3200 MHz
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB

brokeBuilder2019

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
So I have a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and this Ram: G.Skill F4-3200C15D-16GVR 16GB DDR4-3200 16 GB 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz.
I've been warned that I might have problems with it and a motherboard not on that rams QVL. Problem is all the motherboards are intel ones... so from what I understand they wont work with the Ryzen CPU.

What I want to know is, is this a big risk. Will it not work flat out? Is there a good chance that it will be fine? Any advice on how I should proceed with the motherboard or should I just return this ram?

The other components I have are:
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB

Hi, have you tried entering your parts into a parts list on https://pcpartpicker.com/ to see if they are compatible ?

The site may not be 100% reliable, but at least it will give you an indication.

What parts do you already have, full listing please?

What parts do you still need, again, full listing AND full budget for ALL parts that you don't currently have?

Are there any specific sites you cannot purchase through or is there a need to only purchase from local vendors?

Sorry if that is redundant, but there are several lists already and I'm not clear on what is hardware you have already purchased versus what you intend or might purchase, and what has not been decided or purchased at all so far.

Thanks.

Well, here's your dilemma. You can't get a motherboard that will work out of the box with your Ryzen CPU in Australia for less than about 250 dollars. Those are the X570 motherboards.

X470 boards start at about 200 dollars and there is no guarantee they will work out of the box either. They may or may not have a new enough BIOS to work, but are outside your budget anyway.

That leaves B450 motherboards. Those start at around 100 bucks, but most of them are not going to work right out of the box and will need a BIOS update. The problem with that is, you need a 2nd Generation Ryzen CPU to update the BIOS to a version that supports your Zen2 CPU unless you get a board with BIOS flashback and that basically means only MSI, because the ASUS boards with BIOS flashback are well out of your budget allowance.

This is the least expensive board, that will work right out of the box with no need to flash a new BIOS version.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.00 @ Austin Computers)
Total: $189.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 12:58 AEST+1000

There are other, less expensive boards that will work out of the box, but I would not recommend using them.

There are other, less expensive boards that I would be able to recommend using, but they would require you to update the BIOS before you could use that CPU with them. If you are willing to have to flash the BIOS prior to being able to use that CPU, then this board has BIOS flashback and would work ok too. These are not high end boards, they are boards that fit (Somewhat) your budget.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard ($165.00 @ Austin Computers)
Total: $165.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 13:03 AEST+1000

Reactions: Vic 40
Solution
Sep 13, 2019

That leaves B450 motherboards. Those start at around 100 bucks, but most of them are not going to work right out of the box and will need a BIOS update. The problem with that is, you need a 2nd Generation Ryzen CPU to update the BIOS to a version that supports your Zen2 CPU unless you get a board with BIOS flashback and that basically means only MSI, because the ASUS boards with BIOS flashback are well out of your budget allowance.

This is the least expensive board, that will work right out of the box with no need to flash a new BIOS version.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.00 @ Austin Computers)
Total: $189.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 12:58 AEST+1000

There are other, less expensive boards that will work out of the box, but I would not recommend using them.

There are other, less expensive boards that I would be able to recommend using, but they would require you to update the BIOS before you could use that CPU with them. If you are willing to have to flash the BIOS prior to being able to use that CPU, then this board has BIOS flashback and would work ok too. These are not high end boards, they are boards that fit (Somewhat) your budget.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard ($165.00 @ Austin Computers)
Total: $165.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 13:03 AEST+1000
Thank you for the info. I might be able to get the msi b450 tomahawk motherboard (non max) at a significant discount from a friend. Would the tomahawk work with all the components?

I dont mind doing the flashback, it doesnt look too hard from what i saw. The main issue seems to be not formatting the usb properly.

Last edited:
Yes, but you will need to do the flashback most likely. If you are ok with that, then that is the board I would have probably recommended for the general price range anyhow, even though I don't think too highly of any of the sub-200 dollar MSI boards to be honest. Many use them and have no issues. Seems to me from what I see that many use them and have an abnormally high number of issues. In this case though with Ryzen 3000 they are among the best options without spending more money because they are the only boards aside from the higher end and very expensive ASUS boards that have BIOS flashback.

As a side note, all of the MSI "max" boards support Zen2 out of the box.

Kastytis

Prominent
Jul 3, 2019
Thank you for the info. I might be able to get the msi b450 tomahawk motherboard (non max) at a significant discount from a friend.
If you can get it from your friend maybe you can ask them to flash the BIOS for you as they already have (I assume) a compatible CPU with it.

Sep 13, 2019
Update on my situation:
Looks like the seller of my GPU doesnt... have it... So I'm looking at these instead:
New Sapphire Pulse Radeon Rx 580 4 Gb Gddr5 11265-09-20G
XFX AMD RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB GDDR5 Gaming Graphics Video Card HDMI

So just to refresh, this is what the build is looking like (just missing a GPU now)

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 100R Mid Tower ATX Gaming Case with Window
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus AMD AM4 ATX M.2 DVI HDMI (turns out it wasn't a Tomahawk after all but it seems to fit the bill)
GPU: Either of those 2 listed above

Apologies for the complexity of this process... it's been a bit of a nightmare getting the parts delivered.

TRENDING THREADS