[SOLVED] First PC Build

Jun 8, 2019
Hello!
I may build a PC soon, I'll use it for college, and some gaming too.
I had thought about these parts:

Motherboard: ASRock X570 Steel Legend WIFI
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX/RGB 2x8GB @ 3000/3200MHz (depends on prices when I buy)
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX1660TI 6GB GDDR6
SSD: Adata XPG S11 Pro M.2. PCIe 256GB
HDD: WD Blue 1 TB 7200RPM
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650W 80+ Gold
Case: NZXT H440

I still have doubts about the Motherboard (I'm not sure if it's good, or is there anything better for a similar price?)
Is 3000MHz CL15 okay for Ryzen 3rd gen? I know faster speeds are better, but there is a big price difference between 3000 and 3200 (I could wait for a sale though).
The GPU might change to a Gigabyte RX 580 or 2060, depending on my budget.
Is 650W enough for the parts listed above? Or will I need to go higher?
Also, I need a Monitor. I know there's an Acer 1080p 144hz IPS one on sale in Amazon (I think 173 USD), but I'm not sure if I can buy it from Amazon (I'm not from the US). Can someone recommend a good alternative, preferably $200 or lower?
Thanks in advance

Solution
Don't depend on prices, get the 3200mhz sticks, or some form of 3200mhz sticks at least. You'll have less headache with getting XMP to stick than with 3000mhz and better performance as well. In fact, if you can afford 3466mhz sticks that might even be a better choice but 3200mhz for sure since that is a supported default on X570.

The Steel legend boards are fairly decent mid level budget boards. I haven't heard any complaints on them with this chipset series or on B450/X470.

The toughpower grand is a waste of money unless you are getting it on some kind of special. There are much better options for far less than that unit. A Seasonic Focus plus 650w for example would likely be a much better choice and less expensive. 650w is way more...
Don't depend on prices, get the 3200mhz sticks, or some form of 3200mhz sticks at least. You'll have less headache with getting XMP to stick than with 3000mhz and better performance as well. In fact, if you can afford 3466mhz sticks that might even be a better choice but 3200mhz for sure since that is a supported default on X570.

The Steel legend boards are fairly decent mid level budget boards. I haven't heard any complaints on them with this chipset series or on B450/X470.

The toughpower grand is a waste of money unless you are getting it on some kind of special. There are much better options for far less than that unit. A Seasonic Focus plus 650w for example would likely be a much better choice and less expensive. 650w is way more than you need for that system but I won't tell you it's a bad purchase because there are good reasons for buying a unit that is bigger than you need, up to 650w, not least of which is in case you upgrade the graphics card at some point which I suspect could be a strong possibility considering the level of the hardware.

Where, EXACTLY, are you from, so we can make recommendations that are relevant to you and not ones that you can't get anyhow, which is a waste of both our times.

Solution
Jun 8, 2019

The toughpower grand is a waste of money unless you are getting it on some kind of special. There are much better options for far less than that unit. A Seasonic Focus plus 650w for example would likely be a much better choice and less expensive. 650w is way more than you need for that system but I won't tell you it's a bad purchase because there are good reasons for buying a unit that is bigger than you need, up to 650w, not least of which is in case you upgrade the graphics card at some point which I suspect could be a strong possibility considering the level of the hardware.

Where, EXACTLY, are you from, so we can make recommendations that are relevant to you and not ones that you can't get anyhow, which is a waste of both our times.
Then I might wait for a sale if 3000 MHz is too bad.

The PSU is on sale, for around $110 (that's relatively cheap/okay here in Argentina, compared to other PSU's), so other options might actually be worse in terms of price to performance.

I'm from Argentina, so it's complicated. I could probably buy from Amazon, so if there is a good sale I'd like to know. Newegg is better for me (they ship directly to Argentina and they handle all the import duties and other taxes).
Also, you could recommend a decent monitor, and I could try to get it here (there are a few good websites that sell monitors).

For 110.00, the Toughpower grand is an excellent purchase, especially for your region. Buy it before the opportunity is gone because power supplies of any quality are hard to come by in your country as you know, I'm sure.

The 3000mhz memory will work, but since this is a Ryzen platform I would avoid memory modules with timings intended for use with Intel systems and those are any memory kits that have CL15 (CAS latency) listed. If they are CL14 or CL16, then they will probably work with your system. CL15 DIMMs CAN work, but they are a lot more of a PITA than memory kits with even numbered timings. If you can find a kit as well that specifically uses a 2T command rate by default, that kit is even more likely to do well with Ryzen.

brokeBuilder2019

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX1660TI 6GB GDDR6

One quick comment about your GPU choice.

While I'm confident that the GTX 1660Ti will likely be enough for your gaming needs (and for most people perhaps), I would spend a few more bucks and get an RTX 2060 card instead. This is an entry-level RTX series card.

The RTX is a (relatively) new NVidia series that succeeded the GTX series. What does that mean ? Newer technology generally means it will stay relevant longer. The RTX series offers new capabilities like ray tracing (although NVidia has now made this available to certain GTX cards through drivers) and some others. Newer technology also generally sees better support over time.

If you compare the prices of GTX 1660Ti vs RTX 2060, you'll find a difference of about $50 - $70, which is worth it in my opinion.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2060/4037vs4034

Last edited:
I really doubt either of you have much experience dealing with hardware availability in South American countries. It's nothing like the US, UK, most of the EU, CA or AUS. Hardware is very hard to come by, anything brought in from out of country is subject to ridiculous import duties and shipping fees and warranties are difficult to get honored since it usually means shipping your hardware both out of the country and then back into the country, being subject to costs both ways.

RTX cards are likely prohibitively expensive in Argentina. Seasonic as a brand is almost non-existent there and what there is is twice the price you'd pay elsewhere.

brokeBuilder2019

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
I really doubt either of you have much experience dealing with hardware availability in South American countries. It's nothing like the US, UK, most of the EU, CA or AUS. Hardware is very hard to come by, anything brought in from out of country is subject to ridiculous import duties and shipping fees and warranties are difficult to get honored since it usually means shipping your hardware both out of the country and then back into the country, being subject to costs both ways.

RTX cards are likely prohibitively expensive in Argentina. Seasonic as a brand is almost non-existent there and what there is is twice the price you'd pay elsewhere.

Yes, you are right. I live in India and I'm aware of the shipping/import costs. But they are there regardless of GTX or RTX.

Instead of speculating on how much it costs in Argentina, I just wanted to put forth the possibility of buying RTX instead. Cost and buying are for the buyer to decide on.

As bad as hardware availability can be in India, and it's definitely worse than a lot of other areas, it's magnitudes worse in South America. India has a very large part of the culture that is tech centric. Argentina and other South American countries, not so much. But there are of course many similarities, you are right.

Jun 8, 2019
One quick comment about your GPU choice.

While I'm confident that the GTX 1660Ti will likely be enough for your gaming needs (and for most people perhaps), I would spend a few more bucks and get an RTX 2060 card instead. This is an entry-level RTX series card.

The RTX is a (relatively) new NVidia series that succeeded the GTX series. What does that mean ? Newer technology generally means it will stay relevant longer. The RTX series offers new capabilities like ray tracing (although NVidia has now made this available to certain GTX cards through drivers) and some others. Newer technology also generally sees better support over time.

If you compare the prices of GTX 1660Ti vs RTX 2060, you'll find a difference of about $50 - $70, which is worth it in my opinion.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2060/4037vs4034
Okay, I will consider that, thanks!

Yes, if it weren't for import duties, VAT and everything it would be really cheap, and I could build something great for a good price. And availability is a really big issue too.
Anyway, strangely the RTX 2060 is not too expensive. It is around 20% more than a 1660 Ti (that is comparing a Rog Strix 2060, I believe with three fans, to a Gigabyte Windforce 1660 Ti). Is there something wrong with that 2060? I can't explain why it's so cheap (especially given that Asus Rog Strix stuff is normally expensive).