[SOLVED] First PC build

Oct 24, 2019
Hey guys, right now I’m 14 and I want to build my first pc. My dad knows about computers and for some reason only wants me to get pre built and not build myself. He claims that the manufacturers know what combinations work. I don’t really know how to convince him. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Solution
No offense, or slight, intended towards your dad, but if he REALLY believes that OEM manufacturers use the parts they use together, BECAUSE they are "proven combinations", then he doesn't actually know about computers at all.

The ONLY reason OEM manufacturers use the part combinations they DO use, is because they are generally high enough quality to last for a reasonable warranty period, generally one year (Maybe two, on higher cost systems), and are CHEAP. Profit margins are what drive manufacturers of prebuilt desktop systems, not quality, not performance, not long lifespans. If you want quality parts, with high performance capabilities and product warranties that generally exceed those given for whole system purchases by MANY years...
No offense, or slight, intended towards your dad, but if he REALLY believes that OEM manufacturers use the parts they use together, BECAUSE they are "proven combinations", then he doesn't actually know about computers at all.

The ONLY reason OEM manufacturers use the part combinations they DO use, is because they are generally high enough quality to last for a reasonable warranty period, generally one year (Maybe two, on higher cost systems), and are CHEAP. Profit margins are what drive manufacturers of prebuilt desktop systems, not quality, not performance, not long lifespans. If you want quality parts, with high performance capabilities and product warranties that generally exceed those given for whole system purchases by MANY years especially for things like motherboards, power supplies and graphics cards (Memory usually has a lifetime warranty no matter who you buy it from. Usually), then you buy aftermarket high quality parts that have been shown to be good purchases through professional reviews and testing.

If you want something EASY, that requires little thought, and that you will likely have to throw away as soon as it starts showing signs of failing because most of the parts inside will not be upgradeable due to proprietary considerations, THEN you buy an OEM system.

Obviously, there are some exceptions, such as with enterprise systems and solutions for professional workstations, but on the CONSUMER side of things, that ^^^^is it in a nutshell.

Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
It really depends on your budget. With a lower budget, you'll typically get more computer by purchasing a pre-built system and you'll get the Windows OS activated. Mid-ranged budget systems tend to trade blows between pre-built and custom builds. It's when you come to the higher budget systems that you'll see a serious cost benefit to building your own.

In order to pass off their systems as high-end, manufacturers typically have to use branded products that honestly, are not worth the name brand prices they want for them. At other times, they will poorly mix and match components simply to get rid of extra stock. And I won't even start on what some of these companies try to pass off as "Gaming" computers.

Talk with your Dad and find out what kind of budget you have to work with. Also look into the future of this system. Are there planned funds for possible upgrades (job/birthday money)? A low budget custom build can easily be turned into a decent gaming system given a proper selection of components. If in, say... six to nine months, you can earn enough to match (or exceed) that starting budget, then even with a lower budget, a custom build might be a good idea.

You also need to keep in mind that pre-built systems are not designed for upgrades. Many times, what should be a simple, one component upgrade turns into a nightmare where it's just easier to build a new computer and hope to recoup some of the cost by selling what you currently have. A well thought out custom build is far less likely to run into this.

At any rate, it all boils down to your starting budget.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Darkbreeze