First PC built, now what do I install?

HarveyDG

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
Hello everyone,

So as the title suggests I've finished building my first PC, but what do I need to install now? Here's my build (the essentials in terms of my question at least):

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor.
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard.
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory.
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive.
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card.
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit.

At the moment I've installed Windows 10 (64bit), and had a little look at the BIOS (nothing to serious though). On Asus' website there's a list of specific drivers and tools that I might need, but I don't know what I should and shouldn't download. So I need some help. Here's the list from Asus' website.

Solution
.........that's not a great guide superninja! xD
@OP, install your motherboard drivers from the product page on Asus' website, install Nvidia GeForce experience for the latest graphics card drivers (You'll want to make an account if you don't have one already so it'll automatically keep you updated on the latest drivers), install MSI afterburner if you plan to overclock, install malwarebytes anti-virus free or Norton if you have it.
if you want to put office on the PC, be sure to restart after installation in order to update it.
Run full scans when you're done.
Some other good programs to have with a PC build are as follows.
CPU-Z
GPU-Z
HWMonitor
Speedfan (PWM and CPU fan control)
Unigine Heaven (benchmark/stress test)

I think that's...
.........that's not a great guide superninja! xD
@OP, install your motherboard drivers from the product page on Asus' website, install Nvidia GeForce experience for the latest graphics card drivers (You'll want to make an account if you don't have one already so it'll automatically keep you updated on the latest drivers), install MSI afterburner if you plan to overclock, install malwarebytes anti-virus free or Norton if you have it.
if you want to put office on the PC, be sure to restart after installation in order to update it.
Run full scans when you're done.
Some other good programs to have with a PC build are as follows.
CPU-Z
GPU-Z
HWMonitor
Speedfan (PWM and CPU fan control)
Unigine Heaven (benchmark/stress test)

I think that's most of the basics. :)

Solution
Never heard of that in my 10 years roughly of IT experience! xD
I wouldn't download it, sounds like it would be annoying as hell and or not download the latest version of a software.
Better to do it individually and get it straight from the source, often programs like that use mirror sites from Russia etc and install malware.

Mitochle

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
Used it for around 5 years on a number of PCs, I was scepticle at first.
Unless there were changes made in the most recent updates, there is nothing annoying about it and it's very straightforward to use.
Quite surprising actually, I very much like using it.

Edit: Also there's nothing malicious about it, I wouldn't recommend it if that were the case.

WildCard999

Titan
Always download from the manufacturers website, I would never trust a update tool or utility. The only drivers I download are just the LAN/Wireless driver and graphics card drivers unless there's some utility you need. Also do not update the BIOS unless your having stability issues as there's a small chance of bricking your motherboard.

Ditto. :)
Usually you can find the smaller things like networking driver updates for your motherboard on the site too, usually under something like the utilities section etc.
@WildCard999, always good to update your motherboard BIOS, as it comes with the factory preinstalled one which may have some issues, as they even include a DVD with drivers for example. (who uses those things? :p )
It will boot and run fine without a BIOS update, but always best to update and forget.
If there's any issue with the BIOS you can just contact your manufacturer and get a refund, or CMOS clear it and run with factory settings again.