[SOLVED] First PC gaming build advice/recommendations

Jan 2, 2019
Hello everyone, I'm working on my first build and would greatly appreciate any feedback some more experienced builders might have on stuff I may have overlooked. This is primarily a gaming build.Thanks!

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fulltower

Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi

CPU: I7-8700k
GPU: GTX 1080ti

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4-2666 (might upgrade later)

Looking at 2TB HDD for most storage and 250GB SSD for OS and other stuff I would like to save loading times on.

Cooling: Looking at liquid cooling both cpu and gpu with a kit that uses a 360mm rad. Not really sure if it will be necessary for the gpu though.

I left other stuff Im not as worried about such as airflow and PSU out, but feel free to give any recommendations for those as well. Greatly appreciated!

Solution
If you are planning on custom loop, choose a case that was designed for it. Like the fractal design define S2 or phanteks enthoo luxe or lian li pc o11.

I would advice on going for a mobo with monoblock compatibility. Like the maximus XI hero with this monoblock : https://www.ekwb.com/shop/water-blocks/motherboard-blocks/monoblocks/intel-z370-series

Or go for the maximus XI formula and use the inbuilt ek cross chill blocks to cool the vrm.

Don't go for kits. Go all custom. I would advise a full cover waterblock for the gpu. Phanteks and ek make them. Go for the rtx 2080 instead of the 1080ti.

Waterblock for the custom pcb designs aren't out yet. So choose a 2080 that is designed on the reference pcb.

Alphacool, xspc and...
At least 500gb SSD for your favorite games and windows. 250s fill up fast?

3000-3200mhz Ram instead.

Cooling solution is up to you, I would personally just stick to air blower for cpu and don't mess with GPU.

Which monitor will you be using?

Also, some new hardware is coming from Nvidia, could be worth a wait. I think someone said on the forum that is next week. You can look it up if interested

If you are planning on custom loop, choose a case that was designed for it. Like the fractal design define S2 or phanteks enthoo luxe or lian li pc o11.

I would advice on going for a mobo with monoblock compatibility. Like the maximus XI hero with this monoblock : https://www.ekwb.com/shop/water-blocks/motherboard-blocks/monoblocks/intel-z370-series

Or go for the maximus XI formula and use the inbuilt ek cross chill blocks to cool the vrm.

Don't go for kits. Go all custom. I would advise a full cover waterblock for the gpu. Phanteks and ek make them. Go for the rtx 2080 instead of the 1080ti.

Waterblock for the custom pcb designs aren't out yet. So choose a 2080 that is designed on the reference pcb.

Alphacool, xspc and thermaltake have good double row copper rads that are cheaper than ek.

I would suggest a 360 and a 240 rad for your system.

Solution
Dec 30, 2018
1080Tis are getting hard to find and really expensive, RTX 2080 should be your choice IMHO. I have the EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra, and it's a great card.

Jan 2, 2019
Thanks for the advice everyone I've been looking into everything and these are some great tips.

kiss-method, if it helps, right now I'm using an ASUS VE248H monitor that I was planning on keeping, but was looking at a dual monitor set-up. Feel free to make any suggestions on that (I know my current monitor doesnt have gsync compatibility but my second one probably will)