[SOLVED] First pc gaming build

Apr 15, 2020
Hello,

I have had a gaming laptop for about 5-6 years and it is getting quite old and can't play new games very well. So now I am thinking of building my own gaming pc but would like some advice.

Here is what I have put together on pcpartpicker as a potential build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xhbhTC

I am planning to get a 1080p 144hz monitor with this build as I don't think it would be good enough for top graphics and frame rate with a 1440p monitor.

So I have a few questions:

1.) Do all these parts work together and is there any recommendations you have for edits to the build?

2.) How hard would it be to build this build for a beginner once I have all the parts?

3.) What else do I need to build the build? Like do I need thermal compound or does that cooler I selected come with it? Do I need to buy any case fans or are they already with the case? Anything else I need? Also is there a list of recommended tools needed for building a pc?

4.) Do I need to buy the Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit for 89.99 or can I just buy a windows 10 key for like £15 online and use one of those?

Thankyou very much,
Talia

Last edited:
Solution
1. Solid build. Should be good for max 1080p and 1440p.

2. Easy enough. Plenty of step by step youtube tutorials out there, plus many written ones.

3. Cooler should have thermal paste preapplied.
A screwdriver is usually all that's needed to build. Nice to have some scissors or flush cutters for zip ties.
The case does include fans. And with the addition of the rad you should be set for fans. Build it, check temps, then think about upgrading fans if its necessary.

4. Buy a cheap code. There's an article here on Tom's with suggested sites to buy from. No real reason to buy an expensive code, when technically you dont even have to activate.
1. Solid build. Should be good for max 1080p and 1440p.

2. Easy enough. Plenty of step by step youtube tutorials out there, plus many written ones.

3. Cooler should have thermal paste preapplied.
A screwdriver is usually all that's needed to build. Nice to have some scissors or flush cutters for zip ties.
The case does include fans. And with the addition of the rad you should be set for fans. Build it, check temps, then think about upgrading fans if its necessary.

4. Buy a cheap code. There's an article here on Tom's with suggested sites to buy from. No real reason to buy an expensive code, when technically you dont even have to activate.

Solution