First Question Ever - It's about HDD's and SSD's.

HoT_TaCTiiCtZ

Honorable
Mar 7, 2015
So I have a 126GB SSD that has my OS on but me being an idiot didn't think about the future so I started storing files on my SSD like Game saves, software installs, and even things like Adobe After Effects and Photoshop files on it. Ok so then I have a 500GB WD Blue HDD that just has a bunch of Games, Pictures, And Movies on. My question is... If I bought a 1TB WD HDD, How would I be able to move all files from my SSD except my OS? And How would I move all the games and shizniz from my 500GB HDD as well? I was thinking maybe I could clone my 500GB HDD to my 1TB HDD since it has much more things than my SSD and then once that gets completed maybe I can make a Folder on my now cloned 1TB HDD called "SSD FILES" or something like that and just manually drag and drop everything from my SSD to that folder on the 1TB HDD.... I hope this question wasn't too confusing. I plan on moving all files from the "SSD FILES" folder to my new 250GB SSD but that won't happen until I install the OS first.

Or would this be a better idea? This is in my opinion less complicated than my first idea above ^. Can I just Clone my Old HDD to my New HDD and Clone my Old SSD to my New SSD? And then maybe I just have to delete/uninstall the Operating system from my new cloned SSD. Cause I hear the only thing that REALLY needs a fresh installation when it comes to a new build is the Operating System , if this easier 2nd option is possible... Will I lose all my files on my New SSD when I install the OS on my new build?

I already burned a disc with the ISO file of Windows 7 using Window's 7 USB/DVD Download Tool and I even put it on my USB flash drive so I know that I can easily install the OS from the BIOS when it comes to connecting my Cloned SSD in the new build (Whenever that is). I just really don't want my files to be deleted and don't worry. I know not to ever store files again on the new SSD or else next time it'll be an even bigger 250GB clean-up.

Solution
Drag and drop?

Cut and paste?

Copy and paste, then delete originals?

Make a backup and perform either of these steps.

There are many things you can do to solve your problem. You can't move OS files to your HDD, without cloning (HDD -> SSD) or reinstalling. Programs like Steam is probably going to change the path to your new hard drive, or maybe you have to do it manually, I've personally never done it. But you'll have no problems achieving your goal here. Always have Adobe cache files on your SSD, but the media on a hard drive, it'll speed up your workflow.

All the best!
Drag and drop?

Cut and paste?

Copy and paste, then delete originals?

Make a backup and perform either of these steps.

There are many things you can do to solve your problem. You can't move OS files to your HDD, without cloning (HDD -> SSD) or reinstalling. Programs like Steam is probably going to change the path to your new hard drive, or maybe you have to do it manually, I've personally never done it. But you'll have no problems achieving your goal here. Always have Adobe cache files on your SSD, but the media on a hard drive, it'll speed up your workflow.

All the best!

Solution

HoT_TaCTiiCtZ

Honorable
Mar 7, 2015

Thanks man! I'm going to try a little more asking from the community though cause my ass is broke at the moment and I can't afford to F anything up haha. I guess I'll pick you as the best solution here since no-one else had the guts to give me an answer.