News First Ryzen AI HX 9 370-powered mini PC reviewed, delivers solid gaming performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amdlova

Distinguished
The soyo have the brand maxsun. Soyo make some industrial hardware and maxsun is more consumer market. But they back on consumer market years ago with some amd designs...

When as kid my dream as to have a Soyo dragon kt-600. Got one kt 133 because the Isa slot :) never give up from the awe32 card bigger is better!

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
Haven't watched the review yet. From what we already know, the Strix Point iGPU is bandwidth limited as expected every generation. Going to 54W which I assume is the TDP here probably won't do too much. We need to see a Strix Point desktop APU running with DDR5-10000 or something. Or shift your attention to the Halo.

This isn't something anyone should call a review nor is there anything useful to be had. Every single game is running FSR, resolution scaling and/or Frame Generation. Frame Generation at such low frame rates is just a bad experience which might look good in video, but sure won't when you're hands on. The artifacting introduced when using FSR at 1080p is generally going to be worse than just running 720p unless your display has an awful scaler since FSR is scaling from lower than 720p resolution. Then there's the fact that there was no comparison to a similar system using the 780m.

All in all this is more like an advertisement for a product than anything useful. I have no doubt the 890m is better than 780m because AMD wouldn't have added CUs if they weren't getting anything out of it. However who knows how much of a real world improvement there is as we still don't know.

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
This isn't something anyone should call a review nor is there anything useful to be had. Every single game is running FSR, resolution scaling and/or Frame Generation. Frame Generation at such low frame rates is just a bad experience which might look good in video, but sure won't when you're hands on. The artifacting introduced when using FSR at 1080p is generally going to be worse than just running 720p unless your display has an awful scaler since FSR is scaling from lower than 720p resolution. Then there's the fact that there was no comparison to a similar system using the 780m.

All in all this is more like an advertisement for a product than anything useful. I have no doubt the 890m is better than 780m because AMD wouldn't have added CUs if they weren't getting anything out of it. However who knows how much of a real world improvement there is as we still don't know.
ETA prime doesn't do reviews, it's pretty well known. He does more of an early glimpse of the product with some gaming tests thrown in.

But I disagree with the usefulness of the videos. They are, in fact, very useful. You get to see if there's any SSD/RAM upgrade options, and how well it performs if you tune the game settings.
You know what's worse than FSR and frame gen at low fps? low fps at resolutions you can't read the text anyways.
And yes, that includes 720p. Games these days don't offer a font size that is legible at 720p.

ETA prime doesn't do reviews, it's pretty well known. He does more of an early glimpse of the product with some gaming tests thrown in.
You say this, but the headline for this article literally reads: "First Ryzen AI HX 9 370-powered mini PC reviewed, delivers solid gaming performance" which is why I said what I did.
You get to see if there's any SSD/RAM upgrade options,
How is this useful for anyone capable of reading?
how well it performs if you tune the game settings.
No you know what the frame rate says it is, but you know nothing about the input latency or varied artifacting that will occur due to upscaling.
You know what's worse than FSR and frame gen at low fps? low fps at resolutions you can't read the text anyways.
And yes, that includes 720p. Games these days don't offer a font size that is legible at 720p.
I've never found myself in a position where I've said "this action game would be so much better with bad input latency and graphical artifacts so I can read text better", but you do you.
But I disagree with the usefulness of the videos. They are, in fact, very useful.
I'm glad you find it useful and it works for you, but I prefer actually knowing what how a product works and then making my own decision as to whether or not I'm willing to sacrifice quality at the altar of frame rate. That's why I find this sort of thing useless beyond "hey this product exists" aka an advertisement.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Someone should do a comparison of this versus a console, benchmarks and image quality. I'd like one of these for the PC catalog and versatility, but I suspect a console would be cheaper, and possibly more powerful.

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
You say this, but the headline for this article literally reads: "First Ryzen AI HX 9 370-powered mini PC reviewed, delivers solid gaming performance" which is why I said what I did.
Seems like a Tom's problem, rather than the video.
Most of these mini PCs are getting too expensive. I suspect this one will cost as much as a laptop with the same kind of specs.
The Latest and Greatest Tax™ strikes again.
If you want cheaper, just look at some 6800H or 7840HS systems, but they don't always have DDR5 or 3x NVMe slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.