Question First Ryzen build. Need some help with OCng/Power limits.

Feb 4, 2022
First Ryzen Build, 5950x, seems way more convoluted than it needs to be compared to Intel, It's actually getting quite annoying. So i have a stable Manual/All Core oc AT 1.29V 4.67 ghz. (get 72 degrees max at around 20-30 mins) Yet, my cpu z scores for single core fluctuate constantly from 627-637. I've seen others with less core clock with higher single core, I assumed it was partially due to some sort of power limitation feature but i can only seem to adjust power limits, TDP, EDC etc with PBO enabled. I tried it and it got me a consistent 640 single core every time (still low but we're getting there i guess). When i research and delve more into it though people talk like PBO/Masnual OC are completely exclusive. Can i not use PBO power settings and Manual OC? There's literally no basic power settings in the manual OC side of my Motherboard (B550 Gaming Carbon) and it seems to work fine? What am i missing

Feb 4, 2022
Why are you trying to OC a 5xxx Ryzen? Enable PBO and keep it as cool as possible. You can also trying applying a negative voltage offset. Just keep an eye on decreasing boost frequency.
????????????????? Because i want to, and i can, and it's stable. I got pretty lucky in the silicon lottery department as well. Why are you hating? If you aren't going to offer help, don't reply. Lmao. Literally didn't answer my question even a little

????????????????? Because i want to, and i can, and it's stable. I got pretty lucky in the silicon lottery department as well. Why are you hating? If you aren't going to offer help, don't reply. Lmao. Literally didn't answer my question even a little
Calm down, Francis! No hating was implied at all. I'm not even sure how one could see any hating in it unless they are a fragile, easily offended person.

No, you cannot use PBO and a manual OC at the same time. Happy?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022
Calm down, Francis! No hating was implied at all. I'm not even sure how one could see any hating in it unless they are a fragile, easily offended person.

No, you cannot use PBO and a manual OC at the same time. Happy?
Your first reply is literally "why would i want to overclock" 0 context or help AT ALL in regards to my post, which seems to screams salt/hate and seething. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, who knows. Anyways, i literally just did it and got higher scores. so is my 5950x going to explode or something? Lol.

Your first reply is literally "why would i want to overclock" 0 context or help AT ALL in regards to my post, which seems to screams salt/hate and seething. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, who knows. Anyways, i literally just did it and got higher scores. so is my 5950x going to explode or something? Lol.
In my first reply I also gave a few things to try like enabling PBO and trying a slight CPU voltage offset. Current gen Ryzen are pretty good at reaching max stable core frequency under load. They sometimes are a bit overzealous with voltage that's why a negative offset can sometimes lead to lower temps and higher clocks.

Feb 4, 2022
Are you monitoring "effective" clocks to make sure you're not encountering clock stretching?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTkDqARDkGg&t=687s
Holy <Mod Edit>, thanks for this. I was thinking it had to be something exactly like this. Almost a phantom frequency drop. 4.65-4.7 Fluctuate between 630-643 on CPU Z. Doesn't seem to be consistent at all. Unfortunately, my Effective clock seems to be accurate. 4.6997 Under full load. Single core test aswell. After Loading into windows i get about 640 at 4.7 on CPUZ single core, Right now, with only HW monitor open and CPU Z i'm getting like 627. Lower than my average at 4.67. Honestly don't know what's going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I put this into perspective for you?

There's only a 3% difference in your scores. I'd wager that's well within the margin of variation to be expected. Not sure this is an issue worth worrying about. If you're trying to set CPUz records, you're gonna have to be wayyyy higher than 4.7GHz.

The big thing for real world usage is to make sure your voltage isn't so low as to induce clock stretching (it's still best to minimize voltages as much as possible to maximize boost frequency and/or minimize power consumption). Once that's done, just use the PC.

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
I know the thread might be dead but on my little 3600x i disabled PBO, undervolted the cpu to 1.25 volts and the soc to 1.1 volts and a manual CPU clock of 4.2Ghz..... No voltage spikes, therefore no temp swings and fans are happy..... Running aida64 for 60 minutes and kombustor gpu stress during the 60 minute duration, the CPU and GPU were at 100% utilization and temps were great. 74 on the GPU (its a 3080) and 70 on the CPU with no fan noise. Undervolt and turn off PBO from my almost 2 years tweaking with OC settings for new AMD CPU's