Question First Smartphone purchase

Eric Stork

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2014
I am considering buying my first smartphone. Since I have never used one of these before, I am looking for something low cost I am aiming for $80 or less. I know that is not top line but this is my first experience with these devices and I would rather not spend a lot. My current cell phone I believe is called a bar phone. I am keeping it as a backup in case something goes wrong with the smartphone.

I know from my carrier I need a GSM phone and I know what Unlocked phones are, I was looking into one of those in case I need to change something like the service down the road for any reason. I believe I can use any unlocked GSM phone though I have seen reviews where people complain what was listed as an unlocked phone was actually locked, not sure if true or the reviewer might not have done something correctly.

I have looked over several sites/stores listings of unlocked phones. One thing I get lost on is whether they are rechargeable or not, the way they describe the battery it sounds like it has to be replaced instead of recharged. I thought all cell phones were rechargeable.

Main things I aim to use the phone for are calls + low impact apps (nothing graphically intensive; some emergency/important ones; maybe some music playing). I have no idea the difference between Android and iOS though I have heard of them and think iOS is for Mac type phones. I am unsure if it would interact with my PC, I know a Windows phone could but they seem rare to find and I thought they were being phased out.

Is there anything else I need to know?
Thanks.

first off if you looking for a cheap smartphone then you will not find anything from apple since they are way overpriced for what kind of phones they are. you can find some cheap android phones from brands like LG, samsung, and motorola. if you can't find any and are in a bind you can try to look on amazon for some cheaper smartphones from thrift bands like BLU. most android phones can be unlocked easily

Eric Stork

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2014
first off if you looking for a cheap smartphone then you will not find anything from apple since they are way overpriced for what kind of phones they are. you can find some cheap android phones from brands like LG, samsung, and motorola. if you can't find any and are in a bind you can try to look on amazon for some cheaper smartphones from thrift bands like BLU. most android phones can be unlocked easily

TY.
I have found the best offers on Amazon including Motorola and LG in my price range off of this list, the only issue there is I read some of the reviews and there are complaints of phones being locked when advertised as unlocked. I am guessing those were purchases from other sellers of the same model, not from the company themselves plus the one LG model showing the AT&T symbol on it while advertised as unlocked.