Question First SSD and unsure how to proceed

Chrismc024

Reputable
Feb 11, 2019
Hey guys, I just got my first SSD which is a 500gb Porfessional 2.5 in drive. Installing it into a Gateway fx6860 - UR20p with the hopes of partitioning windows and a few games for quicker launch and load times. I currently have it installed in the plug n play bay located in the front of the computer underneath the dvd drive and am wondering if that is an acceptable location or if i need to think about switching out the 2tb hard drive and than installing the hdd into the front bay so the SSD can take the original storage spot. Also the front bays are made for the 3.5' drives so I bought an adapter but the connection is slightly offset to the right preventing the pins to be misalligned by almost an inch, are most offset like that? and am I ok just leaving my SSD plugged in with out a chassis to hold it? I have been picking through guides and manuals on the pc build to try and shed some insight but can't seem to get an exact answer.

Not sure what you mean about the connectors in the adapter not lining up are you sure you have it lined up the correct way and not upside down or backwards? Does not really matter where you put it in the case really, but guides on PC builds are made based on after market cases, not OEM cases that may have all sorts of changes made to them.

What you do want is to replace the main drive with that SSD, so remove the old one, plug in the new drive in the lowest SATA port and install Windows clean on it. Once everything is setup on it along with drivers from Gateway for the motherboard, plug in the original drive for storage/backups of files in the SSD. Or use a program like Macrium Reflect along with a USB boot stick from it to clone the old drive to the new one so Windows and programs get moved to that, then swap it.

popatim

Titan
Yes, most 2.5 to 3.5" adapters try to center the drive and therefore put the ports out of alignment for front bays that use carriers.
Yes its ok that you just have it sitting there as long as you remember that fact when you go to move the Gateway. Or you could try a piece of doublesided tape to secure it down if you wanted.

Reactions: Chrismc024

Chrismc024

Reputable
Feb 11, 2019
Not sure what you mean about the connectors in the adapter not lining up are you sure you have it lined up the correct way and not upside down or backwards? Does not really matter where you put it in the case really, but guides on PC builds are made based on after market cases, not OEM cases that may have all sorts of changes made to them.

What you do want is to replace the main drive with that SSD, so remove the old one, plug in the new drive in the lowest SATA port and install Windows clean on it. Once everything is setup on it along with drivers from Gateway for the motherboard, plug in the original drive for storage/backups of files in the SSD. Or use a program like Macrium Reflect along with a USB boot stick from it to clone the old drive to the new one so Windows and programs get moved to that, then swap it.

Thank you that's what made sense I just wanted to make sure. He said it correctly that my adapter centers the ssd when in reality in order to line up correctly it should be offset to the right.