News First 'Starfield' Patch Lands as Bethesda Confirms Incoming DLSS Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Now all Bethesda has to do is fix the bug where despite having millions or billions of credits, the game still says I don't have enough credits to make the trade.

Hotrod2go

Prominent
Jun 12, 2023
Does anyone remember when Skyrim & FO4 first came out? how many bugs did those two have in their early days??
This is par for the course from one of the biggest open world game developers on the market. Nothing new to see hear, time heals everything.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
without using IQ fakery like FSR and DLSS to hit 60fps. DLSS/FSR/XESS should be treated as an aid for certain cases (4K60 with ray tracing, 1920x1080 120fps ray tracing, etc), not as a requirement to reach 1920x1080 60fps.
You mean vs all the "real" tangible pixels? It's just a new and different tech and achieves excellent results. At least DLSS does, FSR doesn't tend to look at as good.

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
Does anyone remember when Skyrim & FO4 first came out? how many bugs did those two have in their early days??
This is par for the course from one of the biggest open world game developers on the market. Nothing new to see hear, time heals everything.
I got Skyrim on PS3 in the first week of its launch. The game was at a horrible state, I remember I had to start the game from thr beginning several times because of a bug that corrupted the autosaves. I'm pretty sure Skyrim is THE original broken launch.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Mar 31, 2023
I was playing last night with the new updates and notice New Atlantis wasn't stuttering as usual. did they fix the SSD usage issue too?

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
You mean vs all the "real" tangible pixels? It's just a new and different tech and achieves excellent results. At least DLSS does, FSR doesn't tend to look at as good.
Yes, but it's dangerous to normalize upscaling techniques. Games should be built around current/next gen gpus using native rendering, because every upscaling (even DLSS) has ups and downs, and the player should be able to decide whether to use it or not.

megamanxtreme

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Shame for no world auto-saving. You have to go to the Pause Menu from searching for info on it. Sure there is a mod, but this should be native by now.

JayGau

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
I don't know how "easy" it is to implement frame generation but I tried the Luke mod on Nexus and I don't know if I did something wrong but the game looks horrible with that. Flickering textures all over the place, especially the vegetation when I was moving. So I removed it and installed the DLSS 2 mod and that works fine, but of course I get less fps. I found online that some people got more luck with the DLSS 3 mod by changing the default preset in the json file. I may try that but if the game gets the official DLSS 3 support soon it may not worth the trouble.

Anyways, it's a shame that this game is so hard to run with those dated graphics. I play in 4k so I didn't expect 200 fps but my 4080 can do much better with other games that look way better than that. But the GPU is not everything in this game. I noticed that when the frame rate drops a lot, mainly in big cities like New Atlantis and Akila, my GPU load drops to 70-80% and my CPU load increases to 50%. When the frame rate is good my GPU utilization is above 90% and the CPU is in the 30-35% range. So looks like there is some CPU bottleneck especially in cities, maybe because of the NPCs walking around, but as for the graphics, other games have bigger cities that look better with more NPCs and my Ryzen 5900x has no issues handling them.

Poor optimization or limitations of Bethesda's old engine? I don't know but hopefully things will get better before I finish the game (and it's so much fun that it may happen soon).

Status
Not open for further replies.