[SOLVED] First super build need to diagnose issue

Aug 11, 2019
Hiya guys, AS stated first time builder and first time poster here. Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Been a long time gamer but recently got into PC building due to need for a studio machine and gaming rig in one.

So, issue currently: When going through modern games that are slightly demanding (division 2 and Three Kingdoms Total War for instance) At times my screen goes black, audio still plays, and game returns in a few seconds. Im running both on max settings, 1080 fullscreen. Haven't had this happen when it's windowed oddly...

Originally i thought it was a power consumption issue and upped my PSU to a 1000 watt but it just occured after maybe 2 hours or so of division play. It is very intermittent. like... every 30 mins- hour after the first. odd but i wana fix this.

Specs as follows

MSI 470x gaming plus board

AMD Ryzen 2700x with stock cooler

Radeon Vega 56 (red dragon)

32gb corsair ram

1ssd, 2hdd (ssd is a m.2)

5 fans gaming keyboard and mouse, high quality speakers

Also have a MIDI keyboard and audio interface hooked up

Pretty demanding powerwise but i doubt this would be an issue still. To add, ive monitored CPU and GPU temps, CPU runs round 50- 60c and spikes to 70 very rarely (massive loads in game) GPU runs at 98% usage but stays at 50c or cooler, fps is 70-90, ram usage is around 16gb for division

All drivers are updated, haven't seen this happen with any other game.

Solution
If your problem happens with just one game, look for a game patch.

Or, read the forums for that game for clues to your problem.

Your symptoms seem to me to be more graphics related.
What was the make/model your old psu, and what is the new?
650w should have been plenty. The quality of the psu might be more important.
But, since you replaced the psu, the psu is not likely to be the cause.

I presume you have installed the latest graphics drivers.

Any part can ship defective.
Best to call powercolor support to consider a RMA

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
Aug 11, 2019
Sounds like GPU driver problems, or faulty GPU. 1000W is definitely not necessary, your system won´t even go near 800W at max consumption. Try usning DDu https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and reinstalling drivers, also after that screen crash, check for any system crash dump files with https://download.cnet.com/WhoCrashed/3000-2094_4-75205821.html and also check event viewer
I’m bout to be working like a whore for the next few days but I’ll give this a go. I was at 750w before so do you think there is no correlation between how long it went without a hiccup and power of my PSU? Just seems it was a fluke then huh... hmm hoping you are right because this is certainly dumbfounding me

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
I’m bout to be working like a whore for the next few days but I’ll give this a go. I was at 750w before so do you think there is no correlation between how long it went without a hiccup and power of my PSU? Just seems it was a fluke then huh... hmm hoping you are right because this is certainly dumbfounding me
Well, 850W PSU should be able to run the most power hungry 1 cpu/gpu desktop system you can buy so, PSU is not an issue in this matter. Does the crash only occurs during games?

Aug 11, 2019
Well, 850W PSU should be able to run the most power hungry 1 cpu/gpu desktop system you can buy so, PSU is not an issue in this matter. Does the crash only occurs during games?

I mean would you call this a crash? Because it kicks right back to where I was. It is only the display pooping but only in high end games. I’m going to mess with the drivers as I thought that was my issue from the start tbh. But yes only those two games which by far are the most demanding

Solution
Aug 11, 2019

Yeah there’s a few things. I went from a ryzen 5 1500x to the 2700x, but this happened prior to the cpu upgrade, so once again signs point to a faulty gpu it seems, it’s only 2 months old so let’s see I guess. Maybe it just gets triggered once it runs at its max load for a certain period of time... I got some work to do when I’m off uh, work tomorrow. Thanks everyone this website is always the best for this stuff, greatly appreciated.

Oh and previous PSU was a 650, then to the 750, aaaaand then said I may need more and jumped to 1000 )last time I listen to that one friend)

Aug 11, 2019
Psu quality is more important than the wattage.
What is/was the make/model of the units you used?
The old one was a Corsair gold cert model, new is an EVGA plat model. So def quality parts. I haven’t cheated out on any part of this pc. I know the cpu is likely fine now too I have the 8 and 4 pin power running (nothing is overlooked, just helping stability atm).
I’ll hopefully have updates tomorrow on the status of the gpu but it’s unfortunate (kinda) that it takes hours to see it occur lol. I thought I was cool then 11:30 at night I’m like..... uh oh... this is the final snag I’ve seen so we will get through this with all your help everyone thank you!