First time boot - no display

Tom_184

Reputable
Jan 14, 2017
As the title suggests I can't seem to get the first time set up to run.

I've been through the various other posts trying to get answers but nothing has yet to work. The power seems to be working fine as the fans operate, and the LEDs are all working. Just praying to god that it is something I've missed (This is my first build) Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

My parts:

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600k

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4-2666 8GB

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

Solution

If it needs a BIOS update, it has to turn on / post first. It wont if the right BIOS isn't on it now

You cant flash the BIOS, if it wont post.

If this is the prob, you'll have to either borrow a CPU that it does support, flash the BIOS then put this one in

Or take it to a shop and do the above

Tom_184

Reputable
Jan 14, 2017

The first page of the manual reads "Rev. 1101". Is that what you mean?

Tom_184

Reputable
Jan 14, 2017

It is definitely 1.1, found the text on the motherboard.

As I understand it I need to put the bios update on a flash-drive and insert it into the motherboard?

If it needs a BIOS update, it has to turn on / post first. It wont if the right BIOS isn't on it now

You cant flash the BIOS, if it wont post.

If this is the prob, you'll have to either borrow a CPU that it does support, flash the BIOS then put this one in

Or take it to a shop and do the above

Solution

Tom_184

Reputable
Jan 14, 2017

I am planning on borrowing my friends CPU so that I preform the first set up. Will I just need to do a normal first boot up with the borrowed CPU and once everything is running normally update the BIOS, and restart with the new CPU installed?

Tom_184

Reputable
Jan 14, 2017

Noted thank you! Out of interest what would happen if I did install windows with my friends CPU, updated the BIOS and then reinstalled mine?

TRENDING THREADS