First time build complete. Need help with cable management.

Mookyvon

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
And holy shit did that take FOREVER. It was harder than I thought it would be and a lot more FORCE was needed than I expected. Hope I didn't break anything. Now I need to know if I built it well and some advice with the cables or if they are fine as they are.

imgur.com/TXJL5ns

TofuLion

Admirable
looks a bit messy. you didn't even use the cases cable management slots :D it won't directly affect the performance of anything, unless you have a 4790K under the hood (i doubt it) or an r9 290X (don't think so), in which case the airflow restrictions could result in poor cooling and thermal throttling. generally you want to tuck everything down or under in order to let the air flow as best as it can.

what are your specs?

Mookyvon

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
Sorry. Here's a link to my build. PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B9bkZL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B9bkZL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($274.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VX238H-W 23.0" Monitor ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1016.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-24 19:55 EDT-0400

I'm just happy it's completed. On a side note a screw fell off in the case and my dickhead of a father shook the whole damn thing........ I am really pissed right now and worried about any possible damage.

TofuLion

Admirable
haha old people just don't understand ;) well did he get the screw out? i wouldn't worry about him shaking it. it's not like you have a custom water cooling setup with sensitive components. as long as nothing looks dislodged you should be good to go.

anyway, i would worry just a little bit about the cable management with a hot card like the 290. since your PSU is fully modular, maybe try individually disconnecting each wire and try routing behind through the cable management slots and getting it just a bit more organized. it's ok to be messy on the under side of the case since airflow isn't an issue back there (behind the motherboard).

Mookyvon

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
Yeah we got the screw out :p. He helped me build the thing but he was really rough like hitting panels to make them stay and shaking the computer... Here is what I did with the cables. http://imgur.com/jztBZSw and http://imgur.com/djbKT7n. Thanks for all your help btw :)

TofuLion

Admirable
looks better definitely. just do me a favor and route that 8 pin motherboard cable behind as well. sorry just my OCD, it's your build you do what you want.

but please power that thing on and start playing some games ASAP!!

TofuLion

Admirable
they offer multiple connections to make it compatible with a wide variety of different connectors - say if your monitor only had a DVI input or something like that. also, it makes it able to support multiple monitors.

just one connection is all you need, use the HDMI. it's got quite a bit of bandwidth, not as much as displayport, but more than you'll ever need for that monitor.

Mookyvon

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
Ok. Great! Also this is what I did with the 8-pin https://i.imgur.com/3fyJhkr.jpg. Thanks for all your help! Wish I could give you karma or something lol.

TofuLion

Admirable
yessss! good job, sir, and well done. can't wait til my sons are old enough for a project like that with their old dad. my oldest just turned 2, so by then it will probably holographs and VR :D

i am glad to help, it's actually my way of giving back to karma for all the help i've received on this forum and others.

Mookyvon

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
Well your sons are in good hands haha. Thanks again for the help. Hope to see you around these forums :). Nice talking with you. I'm gonna try and give back what I learned from this experience.

Awesome! I'd actually just look around the UEFI for a few minutes to monitor temps/fan speeds/voltages to make sure there isn't anything odd going on just to be on the safe side. After that, time to install the OS :) Next, I'd download the latest drivers from MSI for your board.

Mookyvon

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
Idk what that means! Does this look normal? http://imgur.com/QAbRL3u. Also I want to boot from flash drive but there's like 3 different kinds: UEFI USB key, USB key, UEFI USB Hard Disk,

If your installing from a USB drive, I'd pick the USB key option, unless your going to be using an OS drive larger than 2.2TB, in which case you would use the UEFI USB key option. Also, your picture is to small for me to see. Even so, if something wasn't correct or within safe tolerances, you'd probably have known by now. I'm not trying to get you worried about anything, just a habit of checking this myself on first POST.

TofuLion

Admirable
that's your fan profile, you can customize it to let your cpu fan run higher or lower. skip the boring stuff, install your OS and start running benchmarks while you download games to play!!

Voltages look fine, but your CPU temp seems a high to me(54C), since it's just basically idle. Some quick google searches show that people w/ same CPU as you idle in high 30's and low 40's. Could be just your fan profile as TofuLion mentioned.

80F is a pretty warm room, so it will result in higher temps. Again, your fan speed should increase as temps do to keep things running cool. Just your typical stress tests I'm guessing. Maybe 3DMark, Valley Benchmark, SuperPI 32M, CineBench R15, SisoftSandra, and I'm sure they're are tons of others that can be recommended. Just a good way to compare your system w/ others, and stress components to make sure everything is working properly.

Mookyvon

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
Ok thanks :)) What programs should I use to monitor my CPU temps. I heard msi afterburner is good but are there any others? Also I heard something about the fans only running at 45% capacity and there is some way to change it to match temps?