First Time Build Extreme

stickyickyAK

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
This will be my first computer build.
Want to be able to use this for years and continually upgrade...
I mainly use my computer for gaming...SC2,WoW,Need4Speed,DragonsAge,CoD,etc...and I want maxed out settings
Ive been reading up for the past week and I think my line up is OK
Please let me know any changes you would make...
Have a 1920x1200 moniton,speakers,keyboard,mouse and Windows 7, 64bit.
Would like to spend $2000-2500...maybe a bit more...Priced everything off newegg.com

Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme
CPU: Intel core i7-950 3.06 GHz ..... I plan on overclocking, maybe, if everything works
GPU: 2x Asus or EVGA(which is better?) GTX 470 in SLI
PSU: Antec TP Quattro 1200 OC
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)...not really sure on how much RAM would be best for this system...its pretty cheap soo
HD: 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB in RAID 0...would a 1TB HD be better?
SSD: OCZ Agility 2 90GB...OR Intel X25 80GB?
Case: I would love to have a huge completely clear case but haven't been able to find one...any suggestions?!?
*Cooling: Like to do water-cooling on the GPUs,CPU,and everything on the motherboard. Should I put it together without water-cooling and if it works, then add it?

Lots of questions, I know...I would love any help I can get :)

Solution
just a note: Sandy Bridge is coming out in 1 month. Might want to wait until then

That said: I'd suggest getting 2 HD6870s in crossfire. Performance is similar to the 470s, but heat and power consumption is less.

the 1200W PSU is overkill. Even with overclocking, You should need only an 850W max.

6 GB is right for a 1366 board. You ight ant to look at G.Skill or Mushkin.

I'd suggest a single 1 TB Drive, get the Samsung Spinpoint F3 model.

SSD: Mushkin Callisto or G.Skill Phoenix 90 GB

Case: something like this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811166032

cooling: I'm personally not fond of the extra hassle and maintenance of water cooling. I'd stick with air cooling.
just a note: Sandy Bridge is coming out in 1 month. Might want to wait until then

That said: I'd suggest getting 2 HD6870s in crossfire. Performance is similar to the 470s, but heat and power consumption is less.

the 1200W PSU is overkill. Even with overclocking, You should need only an 850W max.

6 GB is right for a 1366 board. You ight ant to look at G.Skill or Mushkin.

I'd suggest a single 1 TB Drive, get the Samsung Spinpoint F3 model.

SSD: Mushkin Callisto or G.Skill Phoenix 90 GB

Case: something like this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811166032

cooling: I'm personally not fond of the extra hassle and maintenance of water cooling. I'd stick with air cooling.

Solution

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

Yes, wait til Sandybridge if you're wanting the best continuity for the next year or two.

As for the SSD, you actually want to be going for Sandforce based ones like OCZ Vertex II or Corsair Force Series.

If you want water cooling without the hassle, take a look at the corsair H70.

stickyickyAK

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
ok i think the ATI cards should be a better choiice considering my last to Nvidia cards seemed to have stopped working from over heating

The only reason i was thinking of a huge power suppy is for upgrades in the future, seem like power consumption from components keeps going up

Ill deinately check out the newer version SSDs

that case you posted is awesome looking,just worried about the flimsyness of the acrillic sides

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
If your into OC'ing & want to save some; go with a i7 920 or 930. Allot of OC'ers do it.
You could wait for the new Sandybridge to arrive, but with a new chipset comes a new set of problems to go with it,
The 1156 & 1366 have been out long enough that MB makers have at least 1 or 2 revision on their products which
should result in less problems.

You'll probably get a better deal on the older chipsets as the vendors will want to clear out some inventory to make room for the Sandybridge boards.

I'd definately go for an SSD, I have one & it's worth it!
Get at least a 120 GB or more, then put all your larger installs on the other WD 1 TB drive.
I've even installed web browsers on the other drive to save space on the boost drive as it fills up quick.

Cough look into LCing (or at least with that budget I would. SB is a beast, wait for it. And You should wait for Cayman as well, IE 6970/6950. The 6970 should be 50% more powerful than a single 6870 says AMD so... I think that'd be a better investment.