First time build- Gaming/Game Programming PC help!

FluffyCluck

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
First time building a PC for college, hoping for it to last years. Let me know if there's any change i should make or if i made the right call!
Case- Fractal Design Blackout Edition Windows
Motherboard- Gigabyte Z170-HD3P
CPU- Intel i7-6700k
RAM- 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666Mhz
GPU- MSI Armor GTX 1060 6GB
SSD- Samsung 850EVO 250GB
HDD- WD Black 1TB
PSU- EVGA SuperNova G2 650W
CPU Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212X
OS- (Deciding between Windows 8.1 or windows 10)
Thermal Paste- Arctic Silver 5

Solution
I would personally recommend a liquid cooler, all SSD, and Windows 10. In college your PC is probably literally on top of your head when youre sleeping, working or doing other tasks, so you'll want it practically silent. A liquid cooler and all SSD will give you that easier. Also, look for ~ 20-22 dB sound parts, that's around the silent range. Just a suggestion, I found mine really bothers me at 31 dB in a different room. All in all up to you but something to consider.

gillhooley

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Are you really going to Overclock, if no a Z series motherboard and 6700K are not really necessary, and could save you a few bucks. Get a 512 SSD and 16gb ram. you will thank me later. 256gb SSD is not enough IMHO

rubervaldo66

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
If you don't really want to overclock, you can change your 6700k for the non-k version, save money on a Z MOBO and an aftermarket cooler. With that, you can get more RAM or a SSD, or even squeeze a 1070 in your budget, which will add more performance than an overclocked CPU can.

FluffyCluck

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
As I said i'd like for it to last for years, so later on I'd like to have the option of overclocking (just mild OC) so that it may keep up with the times and maybe put off switching a CPU for a little longer. I'm fairly inexperienced in this area but I am going to an IT college, will need all the insight i can get!

Ethan Knight

Honorable
May 8, 2016
I would personally recommend a liquid cooler, all SSD, and Windows 10. In college your PC is probably literally on top of your head when youre sleeping, working or doing other tasks, so you'll want it practically silent. A liquid cooler and all SSD will give you that easier. Also, look for ~ 20-22 dB sound parts, that's around the silent range. Just a suggestion, I found mine really bothers me at 31 dB in a different room. All in all up to you but something to consider.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS