[SOLVED] First time build. Motherboard blinks LEDs for a moment and turns off

Mar 27, 2020
I'm trying to build following PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Jj4N27

Initially I've assembled MB, CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD, CPU cooler, PSU in case. Powering up PSU results in quick flash of decorative LEDs.

I read advises posted here and decided to build out of the case.
As a first step I tried paperclip test on PSU and it works.
If to disconnect everything except 28-pin cable (only MB esentially) behavior is the same.
Adding CPU and CPU cooler results in same behavior.
CPU, CPU cooler, one stick of RAM - the same (quick blink of decorative LEDs and nothing else).

Unfortunately, I don't have another PC to check components individually. And it looks like problem in either in MB or CPU or CPU cooler.
But because it's my first attempt on building PC from scratch I'm eager to think that it is me who is doing something wrong rather than faulty components.
Any advise on that situation?

May add photos if that would be of any help.

UPDATE!

CPU cooler connected following way:
4-pin sockets - to three fans.
3-pin cable - 4-pin CPU_FAN socket
SATA powercable plugged in cable coming from PSU 6 pin PSI socket.
Micro-USB cable connects 7-pin USB socket and cooler waterpump.

CPU connected by cable from 4+4 pin mobo socket to 8-pin PSU CPU socket.

MB: 28-pin socket on MB and 10+18 pin sockets on PSU.

Last edited:
Solution
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Ultra - CPU Support List
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Ultra - User's Manual

It's possible that your motherboard arrived without an updated BIOS. In order for your CPU to be compatible with your motherboard, it needs to have BIOS version F7 installed. If this is the case, then you will need a natively supported CPU (supported since BIOS version F3) in order to update the BIOS before you can install your Intel Core I9-9900KF processor. After a quick scan of your user's manual, I did not see any way of updating the BIOS without a natively supported processor.

Probably the easiest solution is to take the motherboard to a local PC shop and see if they can help you determine the current BIOS version installed and...

Wolfshadw

Titan

It's possible that your motherboard arrived without an updated BIOS. In order for your CPU to be compatible with your motherboard, it needs to have BIOS version F7 installed. If this is the case, then you will need a natively supported CPU (supported since BIOS version F3) in order to update the BIOS before you can install your Intel Core I9-9900KF processor. After a quick scan of your user's manual, I did not see any way of updating the BIOS without a natively supported processor.

Probably the easiest solution is to take the motherboard to a local PC shop and see if they can help you determine the current BIOS version installed and update it if necessary.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Alexander1512
Solution
Mar 27, 2020
Looks very likely to be the source of the problem. I didn't expect that you can encounter incompatibility across the same socket.
Will update here as soon as I will be able to confirm that.

Mar 27, 2020

Probably the easiest solution is to take the motherboard to a local PC shop and see if they can help you determine the current BIOS version installed and update it if necessary.

-Wolf sends
Okay, I've tried to start it with i3-8100 and behavior is exactly the same. Can I safely assume that motherboard is DOA and ask for replacement? Or should I also try memory with lower frequency? Official site states folllowing:
Support for DDR4 4400(O.C.) / 4333(O.C.) / 4266(O.C.) / 4133(O.C.) / 4000(O.C.) / 3866(O.C.) / 3800(O.C.) / 3733(O.C.) / 3666(O.C.) / 3600(O.C.) / 3466(O.C.) / 3400(O.C.) / 3333(O.C.) / 3300(O.C.) / 3200(O.C.) / 3000(O.C.) / 2800(O.C.) / 2666 / 2400 / 2133 MHz memory modules
I have 3600 sticks which are supported in overclocking mode I think. Can I make initial start with those sticks?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Okay, I've tried to start it with i3-8100 and behavior is exactly the same. Can I safely assume that motherboard is DOA and ask for replacement? Or should I also try memory with lower frequency? Official site states folllowing:

I have 3600 sticks which are supported in overclocking mode I think. Can I make initial start with those sticks?

Yes, an I3-8100 should have worked without a BIOS update required.

Yes, you should be able to boot up with DDR4-3600 RAM.

In your user's manual, Pgs 15 and 22 show the location and definitions of the CPU/DRAM/VGA/Boot Status Lights (Item 17). When you attempt to boot your system, what is the status of these lights?

-Wolf sends

Mar 27, 2020
Yes, an I3-8100 should have worked without a BIOS update required.

Yes, you should be able to boot up with DDR4-3600 RAM.

In your user's manual, Pgs 15 and 22 show the location and definitions of the CPU/DRAM/VGA/Boot Status Lights (Item 17). When you attempt to boot your system, what is the status of these lights?

-Wolf sends
Nothing. MB only blinks with decorative LEDs for a secons. CPU/GPU fans do not start as well.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Motherboard Layout:
1Wy1qZm.jpg

Remove all connections from the motherboard except those I have highlighted above.
Remove all RAM modules save one and install it in the highlighted RAM slot.

Try to boot your system now. Does your CPU fan spin at this point? Any movement at all?

-Wolf sends

Mar 27, 2020
Motherboard Layout:
1Wy1qZm.jpg

Remove all connections from the motherboard except those I have highlighted above.
Remove all RAM modules save one and install it in the highlighted RAM slot.

Try to boot your system now. Does your CPU fan spin at this point? Any movement at all?

-Wolf sends
Thanky for the very detailed scheme! Now I'm sure that I connected everything correctly.
I've tried that already. And A1 and B1 slots just to try. Still the same. Single blink. No fan movement.

BTW I made paperclip test on PSU simply connecting 16 and 17 pins. Is that enough to ensure that PSU is fine?

Mar 27, 2020
That should be enough for testing the power supply. I would, however, recommend trying another known-working power supply with the bare minimum connections (as above). Also, have you tried this test with the motherboard outside the case?

-Wolf sends
All test were run outside of the case. Except paperclip test. That one I run only with PSU.
Unfortunately, I don't have any spare parts. That's my very first PC. And because of COVID-19 all services are closed.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Given that it's passed the paperclip test and all tests were conducted outside of the case, I would be left to belief the issue resides with a faulty motherboard. With the inability to test further, I'd probably contact the manufacturer to initiate an RMA.

-Wolf sends