First time build need advice

Peeohdoubleu

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: No real rush to get it.

Budget Range: $1000, maybe 1100 pushing it hard but I'd like to stay under 1,000 if possible.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming/General web browsing/watching lots of Youtube and Netflix/minor video editing.

Parts Not Required:

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg/Amazon.

Parts Preferences: I prefer Intel for the CPU, the GPU is up in the air. I want to use a HAF 922 case for the spacious room and multiple fans.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: None

Monitor Resolution: Currently 720p, but I'm separately getting a 1920x1080 monitor.

Additional Comments:

-I'll be installing the Windows 7 OS, so that must be included in the price.

-If possible I'd like to be able to run Skyrim on ultra setting and Battlefield 3 on mid-high settings for this build, though, I realize that's really cutting it close.

-A mouse and keyboard must also be included in the price, I have head phones so I don't need speakers.

-I prefer a very silent system as my computer is set up in the same room as my baby son.

Any additional builder advice would be great. I've never built a system before, but I've gone over a lot of how-to videos and guides so I'm probably set already but more information never hurts.

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Logisys MC4002IW Ice Wind ($34.24 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LE ($119.70 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 CAS9 1.35V 996988 ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GV-R785OC-2GD ($266.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone-550W 80Plus Gold ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM ST500DM003 ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $973.84
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2012-04-22 06:12 EDT-0400)

Choose whatever keyboard and mouse you want.

The CPU Cooler, PSU are definitely going to be quiet.
The GPU I suspect will be quiet because it has two fans/a good looking cooler, but can't confirm as I haven't seen a review for it nor heard it myself. And a factory OC'd 7850 should be able to meet your Skyrim and BF3 requirements.
The HAF 922 wouldn't be my first choice for a case that was meant to house a quiet system. But aslong as the components you choose are quiet and don't need much case cooling, then you can reduce the speed of the fans in the HAF 922 and overall it should be quiet.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I'd recommend changing the PSU to the Seasonic 620W. It's from a much better brand since Seasonic is one of the best PSU manufacturers and it wil give you a bit more juice for doing crazy things with your system. For an extra $10 over the Rosewill 550W model, it's a no brainer. I don't think you'll have an issue with the power output of a 550W PSU but the Seasonic name is worth it. I've got this same PSU in the rig in my signature and it's been rock solid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

Peeohdoubleu

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Alright, thanks! Unless there's any other objections I'll get right on to ordering parts. I also checked a game benchmark and it looks like I'll be able to run Battlefield 3 close to if not at ultra settings so definitely exceeding my expectations.

I would say that the Capstone 550W is actually better than the Seasonic M/S12II Bronze platform. It is more efficient; 80Plus Gold vs Bronze. It regulates better because it has independant voltage regulation, the Seasonic unit has group reg. Ripple and noise suppression might be better on the Seasonic, but it's not like it's bad on the Capstone.
Build quality, Seasonic again is probably slightly ahead.
Fan noise; now then, this is where the Capstone wipes the floor with the Seasonic.
The Seasonic M12II Bronze 620 uses an ADDA AD1212MB-A71GL. Which has a maximum speed of 2200RPM, which it reaches on full load. It's only really quiet until probably a 350W load. See here for a fan curve graph:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/seasonic-psu-roundup.html#sect2

The Capstone uses a Globe Fan RL4Z B1402512M, 0.30A which has a maximum speed of 1200RPM, but tends not to go above 1000RPM, even on full load.

Peeohdoubleu

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Ah, ok. Well really what'll matter to me most is the noise (nothing kills a night of potential fun like a baby suddenly waking up at 1 in the morning) and efficiency. If I get a bad PSU build, I'll just take it back and play on my current crappy computer until a good one arrives.