First time build, new to toms hardware

totostoys

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Hi this is my first pc build and i'm very new to tom's hardware (not sure if starting a new thread was the right thing to do)
i'm mainly into FPS's but do play RPG's as well. I'm looking for it to be future proofed as much as possible and also be able to run games like Battlefield 3 on hd max graphics on a single 1920 by 1080 monitor / my parents lounge 60 inch tv (not sure on res) im looking to build a primarily gaming pc that can also handle FL Studio quite well because i like to make music as well. I don't really have a specific price range but would like to keep it aroud$4000 NZD or less, i have a list of parts, would somebody be able to comment on the overall pc and parts i don't already have and should get rid of and swap out for other parts.
parts are as follows:

corsair vengeance ddr3 1600 16gb (already own, it got given too me)

2x seagate barracuda 7200rpm HDD 1Tb (also already own as they came out of external hard drives who's enclosures broke so i salvaged the HDD's)(will be used as primary storage)

INTEL 330 SERIES 60GB 2.5" SATA3 6GB/S SSD ( maybe go bigger but will be primarily for OS, FL studio, Steam, and maybe one or two games at a time that i am currently playing)

EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX680 CLASSIFIED 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0

INTEL CORE I7 3770K IVY BRIDGE 3.50GHZ 8MB (suggestions if too overkill)

cooler master cosmos 2 chassis (i like this because of the space and may watercool in the future but am open to suggestions *case must look good as well as be functional because it will most probably be the only case i ever own, or at least for a very long time*)

ASUS DRW-24B5ST 24X DVD WRITER SATA (doesn't need to be flash because i only really need it for installing os and watching dvd's, i have a ps3 for blu rays may even get rid of altogether and install windows via a usb flash drive?)

ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA INTEL Z77
OR
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 (am not sure on which to get, i may overclock but not to a huge extent but am leaning towards sabertooth)

CORSAIR HX SERIES HX1050 V2 1050W MODULAR POWER SUPPLY 80PLUS GOLD
(probably overkill but wasn't sure on wattage of build and may be looking to put in another gpu in in the future suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated and would like the power supply to be modular if possible)

if it is a good idea i might get a UPS just to be safe and suggestions would be good on this
also any suggestions on gaming mice and keyboards, price not included in overall build as i will be getting after i have bought and built the pc i have the cyborg rat9 in mind for the mouse and the razer deathstalker for the keyboard, also are there many significant performance flaws on going with this keyboard over a mechanical one like the black widow because i do prefer this kind of key style because of comfortability but not if it hinders performance.
i've spent a couple of weeks on this plan and am in great need of advice
thanks! =)

Solution
Okay.

The RAM is good. I hope it's low profile. If not, then it's still good.

HDDs are fine.

You'll need more than 60gb for the stuff you listed. I suggest the 128gb Vertex 4.

The 680 is an overpriced card as it performs very close to the 670, it's also on par and on some games outperformed by the 7970 GHz Edition which is about $60+ cheaper.

The i7-3770K is not needed for gaming, as it's essentially an i5-3570K minus the hyperthreading, so get that instead.

I usually leave the casing/chassis on the end user. It looks good though.

Optical drives don't really matter, just get the cheapest one you can find.

Both those ASUS boards are gimmicks and overpriced. Get the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO or the ASRock z77 Extreme6.

I would suggest a...

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Okay.

The RAM is good. I hope it's low profile. If not, then it's still good.

HDDs are fine.

You'll need more than 60gb for the stuff you listed. I suggest the 128gb Vertex 4.

The 680 is an overpriced card as it performs very close to the 670, it's also on par and on some games outperformed by the 7970 GHz Edition which is about $60+ cheaper.

The i7-3770K is not needed for gaming, as it's essentially an i5-3570K minus the hyperthreading, so get that instead.

I usually leave the casing/chassis on the end user. It looks good though.

Optical drives don't really matter, just get the cheapest one you can find.

Both those ASUS boards are gimmicks and overpriced. Get the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO or the ASRock z77 Extreme6.

I would suggest a 1000w PSU for this build so you can add another card anytime for SLI/Crossfire and still have enough headroom. The difference between Gold and Bronze certifications aren't that big btw.

I'm a fan of Razer products(I have my eyes set on the Blackwidow), but admittedly they are really expensive.

Query: No plans for new monitor/s?

Here's what I got you so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($316.24 @ PB Technologies)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($316.24 @ PB Technologies)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($175.00 @ PC Force)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 1050W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($385.25 @ Ascent Technology)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Total: $1192.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

pcpartpicker couldn't find any GHz editions, so I'll leave that to you.
I omitted that parts you already have plus the casing since that's up to you as well.

Solution

totostoys

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012

thanks for the advice will definitely look into those parts and i'm not getting a new monitor as i already have one or will use home tv. unfortunately not low profile RAM but it was free so beggars can't be choosers haha.
with the aftermarket cooler, would it be better just to get a watercooler for the cpu like this one?: http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=15256
Do you think it would be a good investment to get a ups surge proof plug box http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=10242
or would it be a waste of money. what do you think of the STALKER 7 keyboard by cyborg? though its quite expensive i do like it because of its ui screen and customizability.
http://www.cyborggaming.com/strike7/
thanks for all the work you've done to help! =)

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Mm... I wouldn't really advise those kinds of coolers unless it's a real liquid cooling kit(the really expensive ones).

About the UPS, I don't personally own one; never really had a reason to since some PSUs have built-in safety measures, but if you can spare the extra cash sure go ahead it's additional safety.

Never used Cyborg KBs, sorry.