Question First time build, Nothing launching except RAM

Dec 29, 2022
It's my first time building a PC with all new parts and when I turn it on, the PSU makes a startup noise but only the RAM sticks light up.

The system fans and the CPU cooling fan aren't running at all and the monitor remains with "no signal". I have tried plugging the fan cables into a second port and it still didn't work.

I'm quite positive everything is plugged in correctly (I've reviewed all connections over 5 times) so IDK why nothing else is working.

Here's what I have:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
MOBO: Gigabyte B550 gaming X V2
PSU: Gigabyte UD 850GM
SSD: Samsung NVMe M.2 980 pro (2Tb)
GPU: Nvidia geforce RTX 3050

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022
based on what you are saying I would check the front panel header connections (power button)
I have tried to look at the front panel connections and all the +/- (Power LED, Reset Switch, Power Switch, HD LED) are lined up according to the manual (i even tried switching them around in case I was wrong).
If it helps, I also noticed a flicker of the fan's lights when I press the Power button on the PC. They flash for a second as the PSU makes a clicking/startup noise, but turn off right after (the PSU makes a 2nd clicking noise).

I have tried to look at the front panel connections and all the +/- (Power LED, Reset Switch, Power Switch, HD LED) are lined up according to the manual (i even tried switching them around in case I was wrong).
If it helps, I also noticed a flicker of the fan's lights when I press the Power button on the PC. They flash for a second as the PSU makes a clicking/startup noise, but turn off right after (the PSU makes a 2nd clicking noise).
you have short there, remove mainboard from case and do breadboarding