[SOLVED] First Time Build

Aug 2, 2019
Hey, it’s my first time building a PC from scratch and I wanted to make sure I’m doing it correctly before I buy everything. So far I’m looking at these:

Micro ATX Case

Gigabyte B360M DS3H
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BKK2CH5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
The Motherboard says it supports 8th Gen Intel CPU’s, supports DDR4 Ram, 6 x SATA 6GB and 1 x M.2 Connector.

Intel Core i5-8400
1 x Corsair 16GB 2400Mhz
WD 1TB Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB

For the power supply I checked using this calculator https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator and it came out as 266W so I was thinking of buying a 350W PSU to allow me to add or upgrade a couple of components.

I’ve also read on the motherboard reviews that someone has difficulty with Linux, does anyone have any ideas about this? If so is there any Micro ATX boards that people could recommend for Linux around a similar price.

Do I need to purchase some fan or cooling for the processor itself that sits on top of the processor?
The Case I’m looking at comes with 2 fans, do you think I would need any more?

Thanks

Solution
Mostly programming, I think the most intense work I would be doing would be running VM’s or some lightweight machine learning stuff.
You are going to want a bunch of threads for that.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | £299.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard | MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | £75.99 @ Amazon UK
Memory | G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | £65.22 @ Amazon UK
Storage | Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £68.25 @ Amazon UK
Video Card | Sapphire Radeon RX 570 4 GB NITRO+ Video Card | £129.99 @ Amazon UK...
Jul 24, 2019
So your build has a nice CPU but I would suggest going 8x2GB ram that will give you dual channel for better performance. The PSU is going to work for this build if its a decent brand but for upgrades you will be limited to the connectors it has and usually they do not have much. Motherboard...maybe invest in ASUS...they just have a better name regarding there product support and after sales service, atleast better than Gigabyte.

Case wise, make sure the case you buy has enough air intake...2 fans for a small case will be fine and you do not need a super air cooler for the CPU...the standard coolers will work...just dont overclock it or you will sit with issues.

Reactions: penguin42
Aug 2, 2019
Thanks for the responses

Uses for the Computer:
Mostly programming, I think the most intense work I would be doing would be running VM’s or some lightweight machine learning stuff. Possibly some Unity game development for retro style 80/90’s style games.

Total budget:
Around £800 max

Does it have to be amazon:
No, it’s just my usual go to, what are the alternatives?

How about this processor? Asus Prime H370M Plus

Mostly programming, I think the most intense work I would be doing would be running VM’s or some lightweight machine learning stuff.
You are going to want a bunch of threads for that.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | £299.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard | MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | £75.99 @ Amazon UK
Memory | G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | £65.22 @ Amazon UK
Storage | Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £68.25 @ Amazon UK
Video Card | Sapphire Radeon RX 570 4 GB NITRO+ Video Card | £129.99 @ Amazon UK
Case | Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case | £44.77 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | £75.04 @ Amazon UK
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £759.25
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-02 16:13 BST+0100 |
This would be far superior and comes in under budget

Reactions: penguin42
Solution
Aug 2, 2019
This would be far superior and comes in under budget

When I say lightweight machine learning stuff, I mean very lightweight machine learning stuff for university assignments and small personal projects that when running on a MacBook would take a four or so minutes to run. This is definitely overkill for what I need, but for the price it is very tempting.

I’m also a little sceptical of AMD, only because I’ve only ever used Intel and I’ve read a couple of old posts saying how AMD and Linux isn’t a great combination, what do you think?