[SOLVED] First Time Build

Nov 14, 2020
Hi,

I just put together a build for the first time and I have gone wrong somewhere. When I turn the pc the following happens
  • The CPU fan on the motherboard starts spinning
  • The fan on the PSU starts spinning
  • The LED on the power button turns on
  • No signal comes through on the monitor
  • After about 20 seconds the PSU makes a click and everything restarts

I tried it first using the HDMI port on the GPU, then I removed the GPU and connected to the HDMI on the motherboard but the same thing happens.

The parts I am using are

Probably something not compatible here and in hindsight I probably should have put more time into selecting the components.

Any help is massively appreciated.

Solution
I got it working, the BIOS was fine.

The RAM that I was using is 3600Mhz so should be put into slots 2 and 4.
Since the default settings of the RAM for the MOBO have it running at 2133Mhz I had to first put them into slots 1 and 3.
Then everything turned on, I installed windows, updated all drivers then went back to the BIOS enabled XMP and switched the RAM back to slots 2 and 4.

Now everything is working with the RAM running at 3600Mhz in slots 2 and 4.

Thanks all for you suggestions.
What GPU do you have in there?

Make sure you have the CPU cooler fan instealled on the correct CPU_fan header

Your motherboard may not have a compatible BIOS for the 3600X. You need P3.20 Version. The only way to tell (unless marked on the box which is unlikely) is to pop in a 2nd or 1st generation Ryzen and see if it will boot, if it does then you will then need to update the BIOS with the compatible CPU installed then swap to your 3600X.

Also the motherboard will not have any video output at all since you don't have a Ryzen with integrated graphics so swapping to those outputs wont do anything.

Reactions: Ciaran Hayes
Nov 14, 2020

Your motherboard may not have a compatible BIOS for the 3600X. You need P3.20 Version. The only way to tell (unless marked on the box which is unlikely) is to pop in a 2nd or 1st generation Ryzen and see if it will boot, if it does then you will then need to update the BIOS with the compatible CPU installed then swap to your 3600X.

Also the motherboard will not have any video output at all since you don't have a Ryzen with integrated graphics so swapping to those outputs wont do anything.

Thanks for the reply, I know people are probably sick of first-time build problems.

The GPU is Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER WindForce OC 3X 8G 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express.

Guess I will have to try and find someway to update the BOIS on the motherboard.

Nov 14, 2020

Just double checked the box and it does actually have "AMD Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready" on it. Would the BIOS need a further update for the 3600k?

Nov 14, 2020
I decided to just unplug everything and start again just to make sure I have everything connected correctly.

I just connected the CPU, Motherboard and the GPU and the power button from the front panel.
I also used a stick of ram from my old pc (in the correct slot) and then powered it on and the same thing happens.
All the fans spin, CPU, PSU and GPU and after about 15 seconds there is a click and it restarts.

I assume the only thing it could be is that the BIOS needs to be upgraded then?

I decided to just unplug everything and start again just to make sure I have everything connected correctly.

I just connected the CPU, Motherboard and the GPU and the power button from the front panel.
I also used a stick of ram from my old pc (in the correct slot) and then powered it on and the same thing happens.
All the fans spin, CPU, PSU and GPU and after about 15 seconds there is a click and it restarts.

I assume the only thing it could be is that the BIOS needs to be upgraded then?
I would assume it is the bios. It is strange though as I would have thought by now boards would be shipping with a bios that would support Zen 2.

Reactions: Ciaran Hayes
Nov 14, 2020
I got it working, the BIOS was fine.

The RAM that I was using is 3600Mhz so should be put into slots 2 and 4.
Since the default settings of the RAM for the MOBO have it running at 2133Mhz I had to first put them into slots 1 and 3.
Then everything turned on, I installed windows, updated all drivers then went back to the BIOS enabled XMP and switched the RAM back to slots 2 and 4.

Now everything is working with the RAM running at 3600Mhz in slots 2 and 4.

Thanks all for you suggestions.

Reactions: Flayed
Solution